Seven

Seven

“Light up!” Dailen yelled at Rysen. They had been transferring Rysen’s orange fire light globe for countless hours. Dailen was acting like an adolescent-his excitement was overwhelming to the others. They still had no idea what exactly it was he and Rysen were doing, no explanation was given. Rysen looked tired as ever while Dailen’s eyes held more hope than Kyan had seen since his arrival as Abscan.

Melan asked Emmix to summon brand new sheets for the beds in the extra rooms and Kyan prayed the linen wouldn’t disappear from a temporary summon. Each room was color themed; small wooden signs hung on the outsides of the doors with painted names on them. In one room, a queen sized bed was draped with long silver fabric. The bedding was thick and also silver; the bed held different sized metallic decorative pillows. The walls were painted light grey, and a white lighted chandelier hung from the middle of the ceiling, it was in the shape of a sphere. One wall was made of mirrors; the room appeared to be gigantic. The wardrobe and bed side table were decked with aluminum colored paint. Every silver themed room looked identical to it. Each dorm held a specific color throughout the pieces of furniture. If the room was pink, the walls were too, if the room was purple so was the rug, and if the space was red so were the drapes that hung over the bed.  

“What’s with the rainbow?” Kyan whispered to Melan as she was fixing a bright yellow pillow on one of the beds. She stood back and admired it, found something to change, and fixed it.

“The abilities venators have come with a significant eye color. Mine are pink because I am a hider. Emmix’s are yellow because she is a summoner, and Rysen’s are orange because he is a pusher.” She quit arranging and rearranging the pillows and moved on to a different room with Kyan in tow.

“So you can tell a venator’s abilities from his or her eye color?” He leaned against one of the bed frame’s poles. He now knew he wasn’t as different as he once thought and upon the realization, part of him loathed knowing the fact.  

“Yes, trackers have silver eyes, seers have purple, charmers have bronze, blinders have lime, finders have red, and jumpers have periwinkle.” She said, briskly folding the throw blankets and laying them neatly on the corners of the beds. “It’s a venator’s job to memorize all of that.” She tightened the corner of one of the blankets, making precisely sure that it was perfect. Kyan picked up the pillows off the ground and began positioning them at the head of the bed. She took a few off and ordered them into different places. Kyan grimaced at her.

“What can they do?” He prodded like a child, ignorant of what all the ability names entitled. He’d never thought what he saw in super hero movies, as a child, could be transitioned into real life. He reached for a pillow and threw it at Melan, playfully acknowledging her obsessive behavior.

“Oh boy, you have a lot of learning to do Kyan.” Melan grinned at him, and waltzed out into the hall, ignoring the pillow, and leaving him to tend to the room by himself. He picked it off of the floor; it was spotted with red fuzz balls. “…a finder huh,” He said softly to himself, tossing the pillow onto the bed with the others. He turned to walk out the door when Emmix appeared in the frame.

“Talking to yourself,” She smiled crookedly at him, “is the first step to insanity.” She crossed her arms and leaned against the wood. Her slim figure crawled at his secret thought box. He looked away at the mirror on the wall. His black hair slightly draped over his forehead. He was still wearing the fitted clothes from before. He stuffed his hands into his tight pockets.

“Funny you say that, usually the insane people are the smart ones.” He smiled wryly at her, looking away from the mirror. “They’re also the ones that survive in the end.” He felt her eyes on him, and heard her footsteps grow closer. She stood next to him, propped against the bed.