Five

Five

       “You’ve got to be kidding me.” Kyan’s three year old backpack was slung around his shoulder, and he was just slipping on his shoes as Melan, Emmix, and Rysen walked into his room. All three were wearing backpacks. It was the only part that matched out of them. Emmix was wearing a dark, oversized, sweater that made her look even tinier with black skinny jeans and combat boots. Melan had on a loose summer dress with flower sandals, while Rysen looked like he’d stepped out of GQ. “No. No way.” He protested, knowing they were about to join him on his first day back. “When’s the last time any of you have been in a High School?” He looked between the three, Melan and Rysen exchanged looks of confusion while Emmix just stared back at Kyan. “I don’t need babysitters.” He proclaimed, continuing to tie his shoes.

                “No, but you do need protection.” Emmix sat down next to him. Lately everyone had been watching him like a hawk, ready to pounce when he blacked out again. He knew they cared, but at the same time it was getting old. “Don’t worry, we won’t embarrass you.” She stuck her tongue out at him, receiving a smile back.

                “Yeah! We’ve watched plenty of movies.” Melan added, smiling brilliantly. That wasn’t the part that bugged him the most; Kyan noticed something was different about all of them. Something that was too normal, past all of their abnormalities.

                “Are all of you wearing contacts?” He looked at Emmix’s eyes closely, they were brown. “You know, most people think it’s cool to have yellow, orange, and pink colored eyes.” Kyan soon felt very aware of his sea foam irises, he’d never hide them in a million years. He was proud of their extraordinary color. “Take them out.” He insisted. “Do it.” One by one they each took out their contacts, releasing little pain protests.

                “We were just trying to fit in.” Melan’s sad face began tearing at Kyan’s heart. Her small features were cuter than buckets of buttons. She was like the younger version of his mom, only with darker blonde hair. He had to constantly remind himself that they weren’t the same person.

                “The thing about High School is that no one fits in.” He looked at her and waited for a positive response. When his waiting ceased to work he added, “But I guess if you want to wear them you can.” At this, Melan jumped in the air and yelped for joy. She immediately put them back in, using the mirror above his bed. “Alright, let’s go or we’re gonna be late.” They all piled out of the room when Emmix stopped them, “Wait!” she closed her eyes and activated. Then, just as soon as she started, she stopped. “Okay, now we’re good.”

                As they all walked out of Abscan and into the driveway, Kyan noticed the four shiny sports cars sitting in front of them, each painted with a different solid color. “This is not blending in.” He froze in front of the entrance door. The other three walked over to the cars; pulled out keys that Emmix had also summoned in their pockets, and unlocked the doors. Emmix looked over her shoulder before getting in, “But didn’t you say no one fits in?” she winked and shut the door behind her. Here goes nothing. He breathed and reached into his pocket for the keys.

                “We look like the Power Rangers!” Melan said, hopping out of her red car. They had all parked side by side right in front of the school. Kyan could feel people staring at him, which already happened enough due to his eye color, now they were staring for a whole different reason. He recognized Relia’s black truck turning the corner. She pulled in right beside the four of their cars.

                “Kyan, when did you get a lambo?” She questioned after hopping out and walking over to the group of them. She stood the furthest from Emmix. They were still standing in front of the outrageous cars. “And I thought you hated the color yellow.” Emmix turned to look at Kyan; he could see a flash of sadness in her eyes before she turned back to Rysen and Melan. “Who are they?” Relia motioned towards the odd looking group. She had asked so many questions in so little time that his brain was about to overload.