Chapter Thirteen

*Mackenzie's POV*

I wake up to bright fluorescent lights and an excruciating headache. People are talking in the background.

"Yeah, I just have seen her and had a class with her. I wanted to come, the more support the better?" a familiar-sounding voice says. I know it's not Lauren or anyone I'm close to, so who is it? It's definitely feminine, or at least it sounds like it.

I keep my eyes closed, I can't stand to open them. I don't know if anyone has noticed I'm awake. My throat is dry, my head hurts, my eyes are sensitive, my body feels weak. What happened to me? How long have I been in this hospital bed?

"Mackenzie is amazing, I could never lose her," Johnny's voice says, and I feel a warmth inside me. I open my eyes barely, wanting to see him. There's a girl standing next to him and Lauren, probably the girl who was talking. I think her name is Annie. She has long, dark brown hair with blonde highlights in it. She's very pretty and looks nice.

I try and swallow but my throat is so dry it seems impossible, not to mention it hurts. Lauren sits on the edge of my bed, grabbing my hand gently but keeping her eyes on Johnny and the girl.

"I've always liked you," admits Annie. I furrow my brows.

"What?" Johnny asks, as confused as I am.

"I like you, John," she repeats herself quietly. She leans in and kisses him, and he doesn't push her away at first. But then he finally realizes what's happening and pulls away.

"Annie!" yells Lauren, dropping my hand and standing up.

"I have a girlfriend! Just because she's sick and in a coma doesn't mean you can kiss me or hold my hand or confess your feelings to me!" Johnny explains in an angry tone.

"I'm not in a coma.." I wince and swallow, "anymore."

They all look over and Lauren's eyes tear up. Johnny runs over and Lauren gives me a huge hug.

"Oh my gosh, you're okay!" she cries. Johnny kisses me, but I pull away, remembering Annie's lips were just on his.

"Makenzie, I'm so happy you're okay! How do you feel?" Johnny asks, looking into my eyes.

I nod, not wanting to talk. Annie smiles at me.

"I'm glad you're okay," she sighs as she walks out of the room.

I look at Lauren and smile weakly. Johnny and my best friend sit on the sides of my bed as I drift off to sleep.

•••

*Three days later*

I was able to come home this morning, so now I'm laying in my own bed, MacBook on my lap. I got here at around 8:00 this morning and slept until 12:15 in the afternoon. I've had a lot of rest the past few days.

I'm mad at Johnny. I know he didn't kiss Annie, she kissed him, and I don't want to be mad, but I can't help it and I am. When she kissed him, he didn't immediately pull away. I tried to reason with myself by saying he didn't pull away at first because he was surprised and shocked and needed a second to compose himself, but I'm still upset. Sad and mad and upset.

"Kenzie, you have visitors," Maddie tells me with a smile, popping her head in the door.

"Who?" I ask lazily. She pushed the door open further to reveal Lauren and Johnny. I'm happy to see my best friend, but Johnny; not so much.

"Hey!" I greet Lauren enthusiastically.

"Hello," she replies, climbing into bed and resting her head on my shoulder to look at my laptop screen.

"Hi Mackenzie," Johnny says mellowly. I smile at him and continue talking to Lauren.

"Can we talk?" Johnny interrupts to ask me, nodding his head to the hallway. I look at Lauren and shrug, then get out off my bed and make my way to the door. We walk through the hallway and settle for the guest bedroom where I plop down on the bed in there. He sits in the chair in the corner of the room.

"Mackenzie I know you saw the kiss but she kissed me, and I want you to believe that I would never do that to you," he begins. I look at him.

"But you didn't pull away at first," I argue.

"I was shocked," he assures me. I sigh.

"I don't ever want to lose you, because when I thought you might never be okay again, I realized that I will do anything to keep us together. I love you, Mackenzie Ziegler. Please, forgive me and let me do everything I can for us," Johnny looked into my eyes.

"Okay, yes," I begin, I forgive you." He smiles and gets up, sitting on the bed with me and hugging me tight. I pull away and kiss him, never wanting the kiss to end.