Rice Conversations

"Got any intel?" A young man who seemed to be around 20 asked. The other plopped onto the couch, sighing.

"No good. Very cautious. I was almost caught." He says as he runs his fingers through his hair. "This might be harder than expected."

"Mitsuru should be here soon. That boy would be a great asset to our team. I hope you realize that the thing coming up is our only opportunity. Hurry up, would you?"

"He must have a great plan, huh? He hasn't put anything in motion since that one incident on her birthday. Ever since then, don't you think that she has become suspicious even in the slightest?"

"Perhaps so." The younger replies. "That's irrelevant as of now. You are being deemed useless currently. Take action and get info before we will have to take manners into our own hands. You wouldn't like it."

"Be patient. Everything will fall into place soon."

"As you wish."

<><><><>

"Here! Eat up!" With enthusiasm and an evil glint hidden in her eyes, my mother slides an enormous bowl of fried rice in front of me. I stare absentmindedly

"...It's not my fault that I had to win?" I say.

"Was that a question?" She laughs. I shrug and was trying to plan my escape. I quickly glance at the door to see that it was unguarded. Swiftly, I dart towards it and open it. The attempt failed, though. I seemed to run into something.

Or rather, someone.

"By the way, I invited Todoroki. Remember that he is going to be punished too?" My mother crosses her arms and leans against the sink. "Oh yeah, I'm a cool mom." She tells herself.

"Why did we have to win?" Todoroki questions as he helps me off of the floor. "Is her fried rice really that bad?"

"Actually, I didn't make it as horribly as I usually do. Since you guys did actually win, think of it as a reward." After she stopped looking like a 'cool mom', she grabbed 2 spoons and handed one to each of us. "I know you kids are hungry after that fight! You can add whatever you want. Drinks are in the fridge, so help yourself!"

"Thanks, mom." I sigh. I'm not going to lie, I was quite hungry. The fried rice wasn't looking too bad, either.

"I have things to attend to. You kids enjoy your food." Walking upstairs and waving goodbye, she smiles brightly.

The two of us sat at the counter, sharing the big bowl. It wasn't long until we got thirsty. Weakly, I rose from my seat and opened the fridge to look for a drink. "Todoroki, you want anything?" I ask.

"Water is fine." He mutters. I grab a glass and filled it up with the water from the fridge. It didn't seem to be very cold, so I gave him ice. I grabbed water for myself as well. Todoroki thanked me quietly.

We sat in silence as we absentmindedly ate quite slowly. For us being hungry, we really did eat quite slow. Well, the bowl was quite big. The two of us were on our phones, checking social media and such.

"Ah, I forgot about the forest lodge." I abruptly say.

"Oh yeah." He looks up. "Hopefully it'll be fun. It'll be a nice break."

"It better be nice!" I laugh. "We worked so hard during that exercise test, after all. I'll be slightly disappointed if it's boring."

"By the way, didn't you use that move at the Sports Festival as well? I'm surprised you didn't pass out or something." Todoroki runs his fingers through his hair. The fried rice was quite spicy and warm.

"My mom taught me a lot during those training times. I'm surprised at myself either. I'm getting better, huh?"

"It seems so. Keep working hard." He directed his attention back towards his phone and I did as well. Suddenly, the front door opened. It seemed to be my father who walked in.

"Oh, hey father." I greet.

"Hello, love. Oh! Nice to see you as well, Todoroki!" He beams as he hangs his coat and removes his shoes.

"Hey, sir." Todoroki greets nonchalantly.

"May I ask what you kids are doing?"

"Mother made us eat fried rice because we beat her." I sigh. "She's insane sometimes."

"Oh god, not that woman's rice. I'd rather have her shoot me in the knee with one of her revolvers!" He laughs. "Man, my prayers go out to you guys. Is it as black as she makes it?"

"Surprisingly, no. Wanna taste?" I ask him as I hold out my spoon. He shrugs and takes it from my hand. After scooping a spoonful of it into his mouth, his face looked confused.

"...Why doesn't this taste as bad as I thought it would." He questions. "Oh well. You guys can enjoy your food. It seems like I ended up coming here for no reason. I thought I left some of the books I needed on the coffee table. I didn't want to have to buy new ones, but it seems like I have to now. Talk to you two later."

"Mhm." I hum, continuing to eat. He exited the house once more.

"Your dad seems cool." Todoroki chimes in. "Why were you saying that he's worse than your mom? If anything, he seems better than the insanity that she portrays."

"Ah, I might as well tell you." I turn off my phone and set it down. "My mother and I had this hunch that he was bad news. I don't know what to think anymore. She tried to keep you away because she was afraid of what he would do to you."

"...I see." He simply puts. "Well, I don't think he's bad news. But who knows? He could be putting on a facade to deceive us. But as of now, it doesn't seem like it."

"Yeah, I feel like he's being genuine. Maybe I should forget about it."

"Hm." Todoroki hums. "Ah, I think we finished."

"Oh! It looks like we have!" I realize. I turn on my phone to look at the time. It is quite late.

"Woah, did it really take that long? It only felt like 10 minutes." Todoroki adds. I peer outside and see that it is indeed dark.

"Oh man. Do you want to crash on the couch? I don't know if you want to walk all the way to your house in this darkness. Especially since all of the villain things that are going on." I offer.

"I don't know. I'm kinda worried about your mom. She's a weirdo." He shrugs.

"Maybe she can drive you home. The streets aren't so crowded around this time so it won't take long." Putting the dishes in the sink, I turned around and replied.

"Oh yeah, I forgot she can drive." Todoroki stands. "I guess she can take me home. Thanks."

"No problem, don't worry about it. I bet she would be glad-."

"Of course I would! Let's have some mother-son bonding!" She pokes her head out from the stairs and spins her keys around her index finger.

"...You were listening in again, huh? Anyway, it's probably only a fifteen-minute drive." I slump.

"That's fifteen minutes to talk about whatever!" She smiles brightly. "Let's go!"

"Alright. See you later." He bids farewell. "Hopefully I don't get kidnapped by her."

"See you."

[A/n]

I wanted to make a more chill chapter. Just some conversations. I apologize for not making a proper(?) plot based chapter. I'm still quite sick and I really can't think straight aha. I did indeed want to get a chapter out, though. It's far overdue so I decided to fight against my sick self and make a chapter!! I hope you enjoyed!