26. Safety in Numbers

Start from the beginning

The whole sentence makes Lori want to throw up.

However, since she doesn't have any food in her stomach, she'll settle for dry heaving.

Thomas nods without question, "Okay, Lori and I will handle it. You keep people going!"

As Teresa runs away, Thomas turns to see Lori staring at him with wide shocked eyes. "We'll handle it, will we?" She says with an un-amused laugh.

"Would you rather be killed by a Griever?"

The question is simple.

And so is the answer.

So she doesn't bother to give it.
Lori rushes over to the closer pod, the lid already high up enough for her to be able to see its contents.

And as expected, it contains a Griever. A large, slimy, shaking, moving Griever being fed fuel and whatever else through the tubes inserted in its sides.

Once again, the feeling of nausea overcomes her body and she moves to the end of the pod, leaning closer to the Griever.

Taking a deep breath, she violently digs her hand into the hideous blob of a creature.

Digging deeper, she searches for the thing that Teresa had described to her and Thomas.

"This is the most disgusting thing I have ever done in my life," She mutters to herself.

Finally her hand grasps something which feels similar to a handle. She uses all her strength to rip it from the Griever's body. It resisted, but came out anyway, leaving the Griever a lifeless mass in the bottom of its pod.

Dropping the handle on the floor, she moves onto the next pod with haste, doing the same as the last.

When she makes it to her third pod, the Grievers are beginning to wake up.

Fortunately, she is able to kill the third and forth before they can become lethal with their sharp appendages.

But, she is too late when it comes to the fifth. The very last Griever pod in the room, of course, and Thomas had been too late also.

The Griever uses its weight and appendages to heave itself out of its pod, thudding to the ground with an awful squelching sound.

As the Griever scans the room, so does Lori.

Her friends have all made it to the room, Minho, Clara, Gally, Frypan, Sonya. And the others who were already there - Thomas, Teresa, Brenda.

She gulps as the Griever extends its appendages, as if it's a human stretching their limbs after waking up in the morning.

It's curls into a ball, it's spikes breaking through the blubber and skin as it begins to roll rapidly.

The floor beneath it is broken apart, concrete rocks and dust going everywhere.

It spins forward, slamming straight into the next arrival of people coming down the chute.

Lori prays that their deaths were quick and painless, as she hears the whirring of the Griever blade, and the sound of metal on bone.

Minho runs over to the monster, no weapon in hand, so settling for kicking it as hard as humanly possible.

She sees Thomas rush over and pick something up, wielding it. A piece of pipe, just under a meter long.

He joins Minho, shouting to the others to move out of his path.

The Griever acknowledges the new opponent, turning with a high-pitched clicking noise to face him.