18. We Always Have a Choice

And here is the second half as promised

Comment, vote, share, let me know what you're thinking!

Question of the Chapter: Do you guys feel as sick as I do thinking about this? How do you think it will end?

----------

Thomas turns back to Newt, "So, why are you here then? Why are you with . . . them?"

Lori feels like slapping him. Is he even bothering to think before he speaks? He's going to end up setting him off!

Newt looks at the group of Cranks, before looking back at Thomas and Lori. "It comes and goes, man. Sometimes I can't control myself, barely know what I'm doing. But usually it's just like an inch in my brain, throwing everything off-kilter just enough to bother me - make me angry."

"You seem fine right now."

"Yeah, well. The only reason I'm here with these wackers from the Palace is because I don't know what else to do. They're fighting, but they're also a group. You find yourself alone, you don't have a bloody chance."

The way they're conversing makes Lori feel as if he's back to normal, and that his appearance is the only thing that's different.
"Newt, I miss you," She says quietly. At first, she's almost worried that she said it too quietly, and that he wouldn't hear her.

But he does. Lori can tell by the way his eyes and facial expression seem to soften on impact of her words.

"I miss you, too. Of course I miss you, Lori."

"Why didn't you come with us at the Palace? We could've found a way to stop this."

Newt glares at Thomas, before looking back at Lori. "You know why I didn't go, Lori. And we all know that WICKED is full of it. They would've have helped me. I know that now. You need to realize that too."

"I can't. I don't want to. The moment I realize that, is the moment I give up on us; and I am not giving up on us. Are you?" She asks, her eyes burning and her heart beating at one hundred miles an hour.

"I don't have a choice."

"We always have a choice, Newt. Please, don't make me leave you behind a third time," Lori requests, fighting tears.

His eyes look so sad at her words. "You know I can't."

Thomas steps to stand beside Lori as he runs a run through his hair. "Come on, Newt. Come with us, right now. We can take you somewhere safer, somewhere better to . . ."

Newt just laughs at him, his head jerking abnormally to the side a couple of times. "Get out of here, Tommy. And take Lori with you; it's not safe here. Get away."

Lori starts shaking her head, emotions beginning to run high. He can't do this to me. Not again. It was hard enough the first couple of times.
She decides not to speak, knowing that she will burst into tears if she tries.

"Just come with us," Thomas begs. "I'll tie you up if it makes you feel better."

Newt's sadness suddenly turns to anger, his words like spitfire. "Just shut up, you shuck traitor! Didn't you read my note?" What note do they keep talking about?
"You can't do one last lousy thing for me? Gotta be the hero, like always? I hate you! I always hated you!"