Chapter 5.

Third Person

As they drove, Perseus didn't say much of anything. His brows were furrowed, his expression masked, and his eyes were closed. He wasn't asleep; the twitching in his hands gave him away. He was clearly deep in thought— deep in a memory. The rest of the questers didn't dare disturb him. Not even Zoë. It wasn't any of his bodily movements, but he gave off a rather intimidating aura, and it warned off all who would disturb him.

Perseus was thinking of his mother. Whenever he was in a silence, or secluded area, he often found his thoughts drifting and settling on the woman that gave him life. The person he had always loved most in this mythical world that they inhabited.

He had long since given over the reigns, or rather the wheel, to his fellow immortal companion, leaving him to his memories undisrupted.

Perseus was a rather charismatic person.  Wherever, whenever he was, he drew people to him like a magnet.  He couldn't helped being likable— he couldn't help making friends.  Of course, almost all of his friends (the ones that weren't immortal/gods) died long ago.  Of course he missed them.  All of them.  He remembered all of their names, and their favorite food and color, and their mannerisms, and their habits.  But, alas, he found himself forgetting their faces after a while, something he deeply loathed.  He was a loyal friend, and forgetting the faces of his deceased friends felt like almost a betrayal of their memory.  It saddened him greatly.  But there was one face that shone from the depths of his memory.  While the faces of his friends slowly faded away, the fave of his mother remained vibrant.

He remembered when he was little, feeling scared.  They didn't live in the best city, and the olden versions of thugs, murderers, and rapists ran unchecked in practically in swarms.  They struck fear into many hearts, including that of Perseus. He recalled the way she would stroke his cheek gently and reassure him that nothing would hurt him. She was like the sun. His five year old eyes would have sworn up and down that she glowed. And then she had her throat slashed by a hellhound, and everything good in the world was gone. Cold. Black. The sun had gone out, and his mind simply could not fathom it rising ever again.

He knew what he was. In that place and time, everyone believed in the Olympians. A good amount of demigods were pretty flashy about their 'holier than thou' status with the mortals. His mother also often gazed at the sea in a way that was not simply remembrance, but longing.  She told him tales of heroes and gods, and most often she spoke of the kind and gentle, yet powerful Poseidon.  It didn't take much to figure out the details of his paternity.  Especially after the death of his mother.

Losing his mother crushed.  Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually drained him.  He was a shadow of his former energetic, happy self.  He led the life of a wanderer for a short time, learning valuable skills such as pick-pocketing, lying (something he had never even considered doing with his mother), and simple survival skills.  He also got quite adapt at fighting.  Before abandoning his empty childhood home, he had thoroughly searched it in hopes of finding some weapon that his father might have bestowed upon his mother in case of a monster attack.  His search bore fruit— a rather sharp, bronze fruit.  He became talented at knife wielding out of necessity, but frankly, he never actually enjoyed using a knife.  It didn't feel right. 

Sooner rather than later, sometime in his seventh year, he had stumbled upon Chiron's camp in a forest, and Chiron took him under his wing.  Perseus soon found himself Chiron's star pupil.  Perseus spent a little over a decade under the care, guidance, and mentorship of the immortal centaur.

Perseus also met his father, and grew to care about him deeply, and Perseus was his favorite child in return. They bonded as Poseidon taught him how to truly control his abilities over the sea.

Perseus grew in leaps and bounds, having many adventures growing up, including but not limited to, meeting and assisting a number of gods. Apollo and Hermes became close friends with Perseus. They were cousins, after all. In that time he also met Hestia, and won her favor, eventually becoming her Champion.

And then came the Giant War, and he became a war hero.  And then everything changed.

And then the car hit a bump in the road, snapping Perseus out of his past.

Perseus peered out the window, reading a street sign.  He sighed.  There was still a long way to go...in more ways than one.

Hey everybody!  I know it has been a while, and this isn't the longest chapter, but I hope it suffices and tides you all over for a little while.  I apologize for the long wait, as well as any typos and or any grammatical errors.  For this story, as well as all of my others.

Is anyone else a fan of Supernatural?  I admit to being totally guilty of binge watching it on Netflix ;)

Who is your favorite?  Sam, Dean, Castiel, or Bobby?

Please vote and comment.  I read and appreciate every single comment, and love to hear from all of you.  :)

My greatest ambition (besides being an author) is to own a '67 Chevy Impala :). And I'm only somewhat kidding.

I will try to update my stories soon.  I love you guys, thank you all for supporting me and my books.  Keep reading, everybody!

-Paige