1

It was the night of Samhain and King Arthur had organized another feast. I was never fond of this holiday, so as servants and nobles raced around getting ready for the festival, I was doing my chores for the king. Everyone had smiles on their faces as I walked by them. I didn't see what the big fuss was about. It was just a holiday about the end of the harvest. Nothing special. Making today worst is the fact that today is the anniversary of when Lancelot sacrificed his life for Camelot, the night that I was meant to sacrifice myself before Arthur could. I hated this day.

Music filled the air as men and women danced with each other. The bonfire in the middle of the castle square was a huge fire which made me a little nervous. I watched from the corner of my eye as Arthur laughed clapping his hands with his wife. I watched as Gwaine danced up to a young lady asking for her hand to dance, which she took. The other knights were having the time of their lives. It's like they forgot what day it was. I could never forget.

"Oh, come on, Merlin! Stop acting so depressed! It's a celebration which you are off duty. Why can't you just enjoy yourself?" Arthur asked as he noticed my unhappy expression. I looked into his joy-filled eyes and instantly felt sick.

"I'm perfectly fine where I am, sire." I stated not giving him another look. I heard him sigh as I stared into the fire. No matter how much I feared the flames, I couldn't stand seeing Arthur and all the happy faces.

"Gwen?" I heard him say before I couldn't feel their presence by my side anymore. I turned my head and saw Arthur leading Gwen towards the dancing. I sighed and sat down on the palace steps. Sometimes I wish I had what Arthur had; a wonderful wife, loyal friends, respect. I hate feeling that way. Then, a new feeling came to me. This one was darker. The air seemed to thicken and get colder. The cheers and laughter began to quiet down. My stomach began doing flips. Something was coming. I had to warn Arthur.

I quickly stood up and looked for the King. He and Gwen were standing with Percival and Leon by the feast table. I ran towards them. As I got closer, they smiled at me for finally joining them. I smiled at Leon and Percival before turning to Arthur and Gwen.

"May I speak with you?" I asked. The kings smile faded and turned to confusion.

"Why, Merlin," he began knowing that I wanted to speak privately, "what ever you need to say, you can say right here."

I took a deep breath before saying, "I believe something bad is going to happen tonight. You must stay alert." The king and his knights laughed. Gwen looked at me sympathetically.

"What do you know of this bad you believe to happen?" Arthur asked me.

"Instinct. I can feel it in the air," I explained.

"Is that what's been bugging you all night? Is that why you won't enjoy the festival?" He asked me. He really doesn't know why I'm upset? Has he really forgotten? Have they all?

"You really don't know what night it is?" I asked them all. Gwen looked down unhappy. Arthur was still confused. The knights looked like they were trying to think. "It's the anniversary of Lancelot's sacrifice." The knights looked at Arthur and for a moment I thought I saw sadness in him, but then it turned to anger.

"There will be no speak of Lancelot tonight!" He announced.

"But Arthur!" I tried to speak to him.

"Enough! Lancelot was a traitor. His death is over and you must be over it too!" He said. Gwen didn't say anything or even look up. She usually defends the servants from Arthur and calms him down, but not this time. She just stood still, not saying a word. I get it, I guess, considering the last time we saw Lancelot. Even though Arthur forgave Gwen, he wouldn't forgive his former knight, even in death. I tried explaining to Arthur before that it wasn't their faults because Morgana brought him back from the dead. He wouldn't listen. He never listens. "Now, go enjoy the festival before it's over. Ignore the instinct you think you feel and don't mention it or Lancelot again or else you will be in the stocks for a week." I glared at him before heading towards the castle doors. I didn't stop until I was in my room in the physician chambers. I wish Gaius was here so I could talk to him, but he was helping the sick in other villages.