Chapter 14

"Hazelle, Hazelle? Are you there?" Aunt Joyce's voice was shaky, filled with anxiety. "What's going on? I don't understand anything!" I half-shouted. I know it would frustrate Aunt Joyce more. But hey, I can't think straight. I can't seem to figure anything out.

The line went dead.

What happened?

I ran outside the house. Oh thank God. Aunt Joyce was talking to a police officer. I came closer to them. That's when I saw Sadie. I bent down to her height almost immediately and hugged her. I just had to. It felt so good hugging Sadie again. "I missed you so much, Sadie." I whispered through sobs. "I missed you too, Hazelle." she replied while hugging me back, my glasses almost falling because of the tight position we were in.

When we pulled apart, she did the cutest thing ever.

She removed my glasses and wiped my eyes. "Don't cry, Hazelle." Her little hands rubbed against my eyes and my cheeks. I smiled. This girl sure knows how to make me smile.

Aunt Joyce came up to me. I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I felt ashamed just standing before her. It's all my fault that she's timeworn, worried, and distressed.

"Hazelle, I'm going with the cops to the police station, okay?" She said calmly. "You're going to jail mommy?" Sadie looked shocked. Aunt Joyce smiled. "No, Sadie. They're helping me find your brother." "Oh, okay." Sadie replied. Aunt Joyce kissed Sadie in the forehead. "I'll be back home before you know it. Be careful while mommy's gone okay?" "Sure, mom!" Sadie replied, hugging her.

"Take care of Sadie while I'm gone okay?" "Sure thing, Aunt Joyce." I replied, still not meeting her eyes. "Just cook whatever's in the fridge." she added.

Aunt Joyce got in the police car. "Take care you two! I love you guys!" she called out. "I love you too, mom!" Sadie called back. "I love you too." I whispered to myself.

She looked at me and smiled. I suddenly regretted looking back. Her face was filled with desperation, but her eyes glimmered with hope. She looked tired and weak, yet she has a strong spirit. She was fatigued and exhausted, but she held on to determination. Seeing her so worn down poked my insides.

It's your mistake that led them to this problem. You should be blamed, Hazelle. I just kept on saying these things to myself.

Sadie and I just stood there, listening to the descending siren sounds. As the police car disappeared into the dark night, Sadie and I went in the house, and tucked her in for bed.

"Goodnight Sadie." I said as I was about to turn off the lights. "Wait, Hazelle!" Sadie's voice stopped me. "What's wrong, Sadie?" I turned to her. "Can you please read me a story?" I grinned. "Of course."

I picked a random book from the mini-book shelf in Sadie's room. I positioned myself beside Sadie, leaning on the bed frame.

It was until now I just noticed the book. I smiled. Good old memories. Only this one made me happy. I read the title. "Rainbow Fish Discovers the Deep Sea." We both got comfy. "Once upon a time, there was a fish named Rainbow Fish..."

Before I even finished the story, Sadie was already sleeping. But I finished it anyway for good times' sake.

I pulled the covers towards Sadie and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight Sadie."

I left her room feeling tired and sore. I brushed my teeth and recalled the events of today. So much happened. I laid down on my bed. I felt the weight of the world fall on me. My eyelids were closing, and I fell asleep.

•••••

It was a cold night. I couldn't sleep. My little fingers were getting cold. My mom came in the room. "Mommy, can you read me a story?" "Alright then." Her voice was just how I remembered it. Her face, showing kindness and sincerity. "What do you wanna read Hazelle?" she asked. I got the book from my bookshelf. It was my favorite book, the book I always wanted my mom to read for me. "This one." I gave my mom the book. "Rainbow Fish? Again?" she smiled at me. "Please?" I asked. "Okay, okay. Can't argue with that." she replied. we both laid down on the bed and got comfortable. As my mom began to read the story, I would feel the scales of Rainbow Fish, amazed at how shiny the scales were. I fell asleep in my mom's arms, everything at ease.

The World Outside My GlassesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara