Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

"So this is where Cavanaugh lived with his family?" Hallie asked as she and Jamison rode up to the neglected farm house. The faded, black shutters were hanging crooked and the white paint was chipped and peeling. Weeds had grown up through the wooden beams of the porch and the grass was high around the steps with no foot traffic to wear it down. It looked as if nature was trying to claim back its land and erase any reminder of what Cavanaugh had once had, and then violently lost, in this place.

"Yeah." Was all Jamison said in response.

"This land is amazing," Hallie replied as she looked around at the rolling mountain hills. There were forests and also good grazing land. Everything was lush and green.

"Amazing enough to kill over?" Jamison asked.

Hallie's eyes widened, "Is that what you think happened?"

Jamison nodded and pointed off in the distance at the black cattle dotting a hillside, "Cavanaugh owns that land. He owns nearly two hundred acres of land and it's all just as good as this. Somebody is helping themselves to what is Cav's and I want to know who."

"Yes but Cav hasn't been here in years. Maybe they don't realize the land is owned." Hallie countered.

Jamison shook his head, "You're smarter than that, woman."

Hallie sighed as they stopped and she looked sadly at the house, "I know." she replied quietly. "I just can't see why someone would end the lives of two precious babies just for some good grazing land. And then what they did to Leah....." Hallie shivered.

"Well I intend to make whoever is responsible pay very soon," Jamison vowed. "Now let's go check out the brand on those cattle. Keep your eyes and ears open and if I tell you to run, you run. Understood?"

"I understand," Hallie replied, though Jamison noticed she didn't agree to do as he said.

***

Just as Jamison had expected they would, the brand on the cattle led he and Hallie to Maxwell Crenshaw's ranch. As they rode past the sprawling barns and corrals and up toward the three story log mansion Jamison had to force his temper to keep from rising and remind himself that he had no proof that Crenshaw had had anything to do with what had happened to Leah and the kids. The man could simply be taking advantage of unused property now that Cavanaugh was gone. Unethical, yes. Illegal, only if Cavanaugh wanted to press charges.

"Can I help you both?" A middle aged man in dirty trousers and a sweat covered shirt asked as he stepped out of a barn and wiped his brow on his shirt sleeve.

"Yes, sir," Jamison replied as he pulled his horse to a stop. "I'm U.S. Marshall Jamison McEllis and I'm looking for Maxwell Crenshaw." Jamison didn't miss the flicker of surprise followed by uneasiness that passed over the ranch hands face at the sound of Jamison's name. Whether that was because he recognized the name McEllis or just was shocked to see a U.S. Marshall, Jamison couldn't say.

"The boss is up at the house, Marshall. You go ahead and hitch those horses in the shade over there and go on up. Mavis will let you in."

"Thank you," Jamison said with a nod. He led Hallie over to a hitching post in the shade of an old oak and they both dismounted and hitched up their horses. "Let me do the talking in here, Hallie and stay close to me."

"You think this man is that dangerous?" Hallie asked with a frown. "I'm sure he's a fat, gray haired man in a fancy suit and loafers."

Jamison looked down at her with a raised brow, "Must you always argue with me?"