Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"Cavanaugh!" Nicole's voice exclaimed and he looked up and saw her standing in front of him. She had obviously taken a shower and her hair was still wet as it fell down her back. She had two steaming cups of coffee in her hands and concern on her face.

"Are you okay?" she demanded as she set the coffee cups on the floor and hurried to him.

Cavanaugh nodded, though he was sure he was grimacing in pain. Clearly trying to get up that fast had been a bad mistake. In his mind he cursed the man who had shot him and wished he could repay the favor, "I'm fine," he managed to reply with a grunt. He saw her eyes fall to his lap and he realized he was still naked. He quickly grabbed the blanket and pulled it over himself. "I woke up and you were gone, it scared me," he added accusingly.

"Sorry," Nicole replied as she picked the coffee cups back up. "I needed a shower and I figured you'd like some coffee."

"Thank you," he replied, taking the offered cup from her as she sat down beside him. He reached out and tucked some wet strands of hair from her face before tracing her cheek bone with his thumb. He saw the red rims around her eyes and frowned, "You've been crying."

Nicole shook her head and took a sip of her coffee, "No I haven't." Cavanaugh raised his brow and she sighed. "Okay I have, but it has nothing to do with you or with us."

When Cavanaugh looked doubtful, Nicole leaned forward and kissed him tenderly. His hand moved to the back of her head, pulling her closer, while his lips deepened the kiss. Nicole felt herself falling over that edge again. Just like last night when she had opened her bedroom door and seen him standing there she had known she was going to make love to him, she knew she wanted to do the same this morning.

This man had touched something more than just her body last night. Never had Nicole known that sex could satisfy not only your body but your heart and soul as well. She had known from the first day he'd been here that Cavanaugh McEllis was her one and only.

Their coffee cups were set aside and Cavanaugh leaned back against the hay, pulling her with him. Nicole's hands danced across his chest and then lower and lower. Cavanaugh moaned out her name and then they heard footsteps approaching the barn.

Nicole pulled away quickly and jumped to her feet. She left the stall and shut the door behind her just in time to see Madeline and Leslie enter the barn with Ian trailing not far behind them. Nicole wondered why in the world Ian was already awake this morning. It wasn't like him to be up before noon not to mention seven.

"Nicole! I thought you were still in the bed," Leslie said when they caught sight of her.

Nicole blushed and quickly cleared her throat as she went to Gemini's stall. The gelding was clearly angry with her over the lack of a ride the night before and kept his back to her and his head in the corner, "I got up early and decided to come check on the horses. What are you all doing out here?"

"Madeline want's to go for a ride on Saraphine and I could use the fresh air myself. You don't mind do you?" Leslie asked.

Nicole shook her head, "No, of course I don't mind. Saraphine has always loved Madeline." As if in response to that statement, Saraphine tossed her head over the stall door and blew out a breath at Madeline. The girl giggled and kissed the horses tan nose.

Leslie walked closer to Nicole and bit her bottom lip, "I was also wondering if you had a gun I could borrow to take on the trail with us." Nicole nodded knowingly, "Yeah, if you want a revolver I have the .357, the .44 and the .22. Or I have a couple of automatics you can pick from. Which one do you want?"

"The .357 I guess." Leslie replied.

Ian leaned against the stall on the other side of the barn and frowned, "Why do you need a gun?" he questioned and Leslie shrugged.