Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"A good man wouldn't have kept you out all night twice in a row after just meeting you," Silas countered.

Bethany sighed sadly, "So you're really making me choose?" she asked with tears in her voice.

Silas nodded, his face hard, "Yes I am."

Bethany swallowed hard and Andrew prayed like hell she chose him. When he felt her tiny hand clasp onto his he nearly collapsed with relief.

"That's your choice then?" Silas demanded and Bethany nodded. Silas nodded as well and turned his back. "You can come and get your things. If you want to be grown and mature then you can do so out of my house."

Nicole called out for Silas again but the man just got in his truck and drove away.

Ian grunted and walked back into the house and Cavanaugh wanted to do the same but Nicole looked so sad that he didn't want to leave her.

"Just give him time, Bethany. He'll come around," Nicole assured the girl.

"I doubt it." Bethany replied. "My mom let him down once and he never has spoken to her since." Nicole hugged Bethany and then Cavanaugh took her gently by the arm and led her inside.

"You just got kicked out of your house and disowned," Andrew stated.

Bethany rolled her eyes and gave him a droll look, "Thank you for stating the obvious."

"You did that for me?" he said with disbelief.

Bethany nodded and sniffed back tears, "Don't make me regret it."

***

"I have to head out now, Hallie," Jamison said as he adjusted his gun belt and slid his derringer in his boot.

Hallie nodded as she opened her dresser drawer and grabbed a derringer pistol of her own. She dropped it in her dress pocket and grabbed her straw hat, "I'll head out with you."

"I don't think you will," Jamison stated sternly.

"Oh I think I will. I have spent nine years watching you ride off and never knowing for sure if I'd ever see you again. I'm going to ride with you this time."

Jamison was certain the woman had plumb lost her mind, "These men I'm trying to find are cold blooded murderers," Jamison reminded her. "They killed a woman and two children that I know of and probably more! There is no way on God's green earth that I am letting you ride along with me. It's too dangerous."

"You don't have a choice, Jamison," Hallie stated, squaring her shoulders and setting her stubborn jaw. "I'm not asking permission." Jamison growled under his breath and crossed his arms over his chest. "You are not coming. They raped Leah before they killed her. Do you think they'd hesitate to do the same to you?" he demanded, the very thought making his stomach turn.

Hallie felt a bit of fear but didn't let it show on her face, "I'll have the one and only Jamison McEllis for protection," she replied and then she shrugged. "Besides, I'm nearly thirty years old and know how to take care of myself. You might just end up needing someone to watch your back, old man."

"Old man?" Jamison asked flatly. "We're the same damn age, pretty lady."

"I'm coming, Jamison," she said stubbornly.

Jamison shook his head and stepped close to her. Her took her in his arms, holding her flush against him and pressed his lips gently to her ear, "It took nine years for me to realize that I love you, old girl, I ain't quite ready to lose you yet."