Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"You better keep control of your friend there," A large, bald, tattoo covered man in denim and chains stated in a gravely voice as he came to stand behind the woman.

"I will," Nicole assured them as she grabbed Ian's arm and pulled him toward her.

"You better," the man repeated as he cracked his knuckles.

Nicole just swallowed hard and turned quickly, dragging Ian with her. She nearly ran into Cavanaugh's chest when she realized he had come to stand behind her. He sent an angry glance at the bald man and then grabbed Ian's arm himself and dragged him back to their corner table.

"Ow!" Ian exclaimed as Cavanaugh released his hold on him and tossed him down in a chair.

"We haven't been here a full ten minutes yet and you already almost got yourself killed!" Nicole declared as she shook her head and sat down.

"How was I supposed to know she wasn't a saloon maid?"

"Is that a polite word for whore?" Nicole asked with a raise of her brow.

Ian grinned sheepishly, "Yeah but I didn't want to use that word around you," he replied.

Cavanaugh shook his head and grumbled as he sat down and Nicole realized that he moved his chair so he was sitting closer to her, "I think I need to let you know that prostitution is illegal nowadays. There are no 'saloon maids' here," she informed Ian.

His face fell and Nicole was reminded of a kicked puppy, "Well why in the hell would the law wanna go and do something like that?" he asked sadly.

Nicole shrugged and grabbed a pretzel, "They hate free enterprise," she replied and while Cavanaugh wasn't entirely sure what that meant it made him chuckle just the same.

"Well I don't have to pay for it to get it," Ian said standing back up. "I'm gonna go buy some whiskey and work these charms and see where it gets me."

"The emergency room is my guess," Nicole muttered under her breath and Cavanaugh laughed again. Ian gave her a look and then walked back off into the crowd. Nicole sighed and leaned back in her chair.

"So are you as upset as your brother about the loss of 'saloon maids?" she asked.

Cavanaugh and he shook his head and grabbed a handful of pretzels, "I didn't get my brothers affection for those types of women. Of course back in our time some women didn't have a choice but to be what they were so I didn't look down on them either. I just never had any use for them."

"Never?" Nicole asked skeptically. Didn't all cowboys get a little action at the saloon or the brothel?

"I was still fairly young when I met Leah and she was my first. I never betrayed her with another woman and I've kept myself busy the last few years and haven't had time for those kinds of things."

Cavanaugh realized then that lately he'd been talking more and more about Leah and he was surprised that it didn't hurt every time her name left his lips. He had avoided mentioning her name for over three years because of the pain but now the pain seemed dulled somehow. He looked over at Nicole as she went about chewing the salt of her pretzel and watching Ian scan for women and he had to wonder if maybe she was the reason.

"What is that?" he asked, pointing to one of three big tables toward the back of the bar. The other two tables had people with sticks knocking brightly colored balls around it.

"A pool table. It's a game. You want to play?" Nicole replied and Cavanaugh nodded.

"You'll have to teach me." he replied. Nicole smiled.