Chapter Twelve

Começar do início

Uncle Silas shook his head and handed his revolver back to him, "Well let's go out behind the barn and y'all can prove whether or not you know how to use these pretty guns." Uncle Silas turned and walked away. Cavanaugh frowned and holstered his gun, "Don't know what that old man is thinking." he grumbled.

Ian smiled and put his arm around Cavanaugh's shoulders as they followed after Silas, "He can see what the rest of the world sees, Cav. You like that woman."

Cavanaugh mumbled under his breath, pulled away from Ian and quickened his pace to put distance between himself and his brothers who all seemed to agree with Ian.

***

"Nicole, what brings you out here today?" Bethany asked with a smile as she unfolded her long jean clad legs from beneath her and stood from the couch.

Nicole shrugged as she looked at the romance book held tight in Bethany's hand. There was a half naked cowboy on the cover and he was sweat covered and looking very deeply into the eyes of the voluptuous blond in his arms, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." she stated. Bethany's brown eyes sparkled with excitement as she sat back down and motioned for Nicole to do the same, "Tell me!"

Nicole smiled. She really liked Bethany. The poor girl was painfully quiet and shy most of the time. The five foot ten, skinny as a bean pole eighteen year old had always been teased over her body type and shyness and she had taken refuge in books.

"I brought four hot cowboy brothers here to spend some time working with your papaw."

"Cowboys?" Bethany asked as a blush covered her cheeks and she laid her book on the coffee table.

"Yes. Four of them. You'll never believe where they're from."

"Oklahoma?"

"Nope. 1875."

"You're pulling me leg," Bethany stated accusingly and Nicole shook her head.

"No I'm not. I'm dead serious. Of course I thought they were crazy at first too but they aren't. They are moody and annoying at times but not crazy."

"And there are four of them? How long have they been here?"

"Since Monday morning," Nicole replied, thinking back on the last three days. "Do you want to go meet them?"

"Oh I don't know." Bethany replied quickly as she folded her hands in her lap.

"Come on, Bethany! When will you get another opportunity like this one?" Nicole urged. She wanted to see the young woman come out of her shell and open up. She was tired of watching her pass up on fun just because she was too shy and cautious.

"The rodeo is coming to town soon, I'll see plenty of cowboys then," Bethany informed her.

"Oh please," Nicole exclaimed with a snort. "Those are wannabes. These are the real deal."

Bethany bit her lip and looked like she was going to come up with another excuse when a gunshot rang out followed quickly by another one, "What are they doing?" Bethany demanded as she stood and ran to the window.

"Only one way to find out," Nicole replied with a wink and Bethany bit her lip and then smiled before following Nicole out the door.

The two women walked back behind the barn where the gunshots were still coming from and Nicole heard Bethany gasp when they turned the corner and the McEllis brothers came into view.

"Oh my...." Bethany muttered. The men all had wide legged stances and their newly acquired jeans showed off their lean hips and firm backsides as they drew their holstered revolvers in turn and shot cans that Silas was throwing up into the air.