Ian shrugged and held out his hands, "Arrest me, big brother. I wouldn't want to damage your sterling reputation."

"Why are we all fighting?" Andrew demanded as he rubbed his palms up and down his dirty pants legs. "Mama wouldn't want us fighting with each other like this... Not right now. We don't even have her casket covered up yet!"

All four brother's lowered their heads in shame, grabbed a shovel and got busy putting their mother to rest.

***

"Supper is ready!" The brother's had just finished burying their mother and putting the shovels away when Mary's voice called out to them. Andrew covered his chest with his hand and let out a yelp, "I'd plumb forgot about her!" he exclaimed.

"What the hell is she still doing here?" Cavanaugh demanded. He still didn't like the woman who had no doubt taken his mother's money for doing absolutely nothing.

"One of us have to take her back to town now I guess," Jamison replied.

Ian and Andrew were walking between the two older brothers to avoid more fist throwing. Ian frowned, "How about we wait until after we eat? I'm hungry."

"I don't have much of an appetite." Cavanaugh said with a shake of his head.

Jamison snorted, "Yeah, go ahead, Cav. Starve yourself so everyone knows just how miserable you are."

"Go to hell, Jamison. I hope one day you lose the woman you love and two little pieces of yourself so that you can have somewhat of an idea just what kind of pain I've known," Cavanaugh spat.

Jamison snorted, "That's real nice, Cav."

"I need a drink," Ian stated. He put his arm around Andrew's shoulders. "I brought some whiskey in my saddlebags. You want some?"

"Don't you know it. Whiskey is my second favorite thing after....." Andrew's gaze went to the grave at the edge of woods and suddenly his face sobered. "Never mind."

Ian took his arm away from Andrew and shrugged, "Suit yourself. I still want that whiskey," he said. "I hid it in mama's bottom cabinet."

"Hey wait! I still want the whiskey!" Andrew exclaimed as he ran after him.

"So is this how it's gonna be with us?" Jamison demanded of Cavanaugh once they were alone and standing in the yard.

"Nope. Just as soon as I eat I plan on getting the hell out of here and never seeing you again."

"That sounds real grown up of you." Jamison muttered.

Cavanaugh smiled maliciously, "I am a regular old adult now." he shot back.

"Quit your bickering and get in here and eat!" Mary shouted as she poked her head out the door and waved her thin arm.

"I'm not hungry!" Cavanaugh shouted back.

She gave him a toothless grin that had a shiver passing over his spine, "Your mother had one last thing she wished for me to tell you all before she passed on. I will not tell you what that was unless you come in this house and eat supper."

"Isn't that illegal? Can't you arrest her or something?" Cavanaugh asked Jamison through clenched teeth.

"If I say no will that give you something else to hate me over?" Jamison replied. Cavanaugh felt his hands flex tightly as he fought the urge to punch his brother right in the jaw.

Instead of responding, Cavanaugh just shoved past his brother and limped into the house.

***