Chapter 4

I was wide awake, gripping the bed sheets. My dream was different tonight; more realistic. I took deep breaths until I had calmed down, and listened. I could hear voices outside my door. One was Twilight. The other two I didn't recognize, but seemed oddly familiar. One had a western accent, and the other seemed soft, and flowery, like they were a singer.

I quietly stepped out of bed, and made my way to the door. I opened it slightly, and peered at the three ponies. The two unfamiliar ponies made me gasp. I had seen them in my dream.

I finally summed up the courage to step out of the room. I wanted to talk to those ponies. They must know who I am.

"Scoots!" The yellow pony said when I stepped out. "Yer back!"

I shook my head. "I'm not Scootaloo." I told her. "Or Scoots."

"You sure look like her though." The white unicorn observed. "Are you just messing with us?"

I shook my head again. "No. I was told my name was Absentia."

"Well, when was that?" The yellow pony asked.

I tried to recall. "When I was a filly, I guess."

The unicorn and earth pony looked at each other. "What about before then?" The unicorn asked.

I shrugged. "Can't remember."

They were silent for a while. Then, the unicorn spoke again. "You were yelling in there. Did you have a nightmare?"

I glare at her. "No." I lied. I didn't want to tell them. I only just met them.

The unicorn gave me a worried look. The yellow pony just looked confused.

"So..." I said. "I didn't catch your names..."

"Sweetie Belle." The unicorn said.

"Applebloom." The yellow pony said.

I nodded. That's when I noticed they didn't have cutie marks... like me. I stayed silent as they kept swapping sad glances with each other.

"Well, we came to see if you wanted to go to Sugar Cube Corner with us," Sweetie Belle said. "But if you're too busy—"

"I don't have any bits." I protested.

"That's alright." Applebloom said. "We were jus' goin' to try 'n figure out what our destinies may be. Ya know, jus' sit 'n talk."

I looked at Twilight. She smiled and nodded. "Okay." I said. "I'll go with you."

Applebloom smiled. "Great! C'mon!"

I smiled slightly and followed the two out of the castle. They walked ahead of me, whispering to each other, while I hesitantly followed from behind. I couldn't hear what they were saying, and I didn't really care.

Without the factory, I felt empty. I had nothing to do, nothing to eat. I had no purpose. Maybe the factory was my destiny. After all, I was born there. I am Absentia.

Right?

When we got to Sugar Cube Corner, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom greeted Pinkie Pie, and sat at a table in the corner. I dipped my head in silent greeting to Pinkie, and followed them to the table. They were already trying to decide what to do to earn their cutie marks.

I was hardly paying attention. I was watching the door. Wouldn't Dash be looking for me? She wouldn't let one of her workers out, it would risk the truth of the factory. What if she doesn't come looking for me? Does she know me that well? Sure, I let a few things slip, but I didn't mention anything about what the factory does.

"Um, Scoots?"

I ignored them. I am not Scootaloo. I've told them that. They should know better than that.

Sweetie Belle sighed. "Absentia." She said.

"Yes?" I asked.

She slides a picture in front of me. It was a picture of them as fillies, as well as...me. But not me. This must be Scootaloo. I had seen her in my dreams. I never really realized how similar we were, which actually seems pretty stupid to just recognize just now. I had seen her in my nightmares, everyone thinks I am her. Could I be her?

"Is that...me?" I asked.

"Only if you can answer every question correctly." Sweetie Belle said.

I gave her a confused look, but she ignored it.

"What is your favorite thing to do?"

"Ride my scooter." I said. "But I haven't in a while."

"What's your favorite subject in school?"

"None of them...?" I said. I didn't really like school.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Blue." I said. I always liked the color blue it reminded me of the sky. It had taken so long for me just to touch it.

"You are Scoots." Applebloom said. "We know it. Ya have t' be her."

I looked down at my hooves. They could be right.

I don't know who I am.

Who I am

Is a lie.

I am Scootaloo.

I heard a familiar voice, and my heart raced. Dash had come to find me. I stared wide-eyed as Dash came into Sugar Cube Corner. I was a goner.

"Rainbow Dash!" Applebloom called. "Scootaloo ain't missing anymore!"