I'm here

Derek waited anxiously for Melissa to come out of Stiles' room. He was pacing while the rest of the pack sat in the chairs. Derek couldn't explain why but he felt more nervous than normal.

"Derek, relax. He's gonna be fine." Scott spoke assuringly.

"I can't." Derek snapped.

"Hey, the arrow is out and he's all patched up. He's still out of it but you can go in." Melissa spoke up from behind Derek.

The pack all filed in to Stiles' room. Derek looked around at all the people there to make sure Stiles was okay. Scott, Isaac, Theo, Allison and Lydia were all crowded around Stiles' bed. Chris Argent even hung around to make sure he was okay.

"You alright, Derek?" Isaac asked noticing the alpha hovering near the door.

"I just...he was so willing to give himself over just to save me. He was leaving behind every one of you." Derek frowned.

"That's who Stiles is." Lydia smiled.

"But just last night he told me he never wanted to see my face again." Derek swallowed the lump in his throat.

"Why would he say that?" Allison frowned.

"I mentioned him being my emissary and he told me he didn't want to be tied to be forever and he only had a year left before he never had to see me again. I asked him if never seeing me again would make him happy. He said it would." Derek dropped his eyes.

"I think maybe his tune has changed." Scott smirked.

"I doubt it." Derek shook his head. 

Scott, Isaac and Theo exchanged knowing glances but didn't say anything. Derek didn't know Stiles was his emissary now. They'd all agreed to let Stiles be the one to tell him.

-

Derek sat by Stiles' bed his hand holding onto Stiles' as if he'd disappear if he let go.

"Derek?" Stiles' voice mumbled.

Derek sat up immediately.

"Hey, I'm here." Derek ran a hand gently through Stiles' hair.

"Did they hurt you? Did they touch you?" Stiles asked inspecting Derek groggily

"Nothing I couldn't handle." Derek smiled. Leave it to Stiles to be more worried about Derek than himself.

"I begged them not to touch you. I know what you went through with Kate. I couldn't let that happen again." Stiles mumbled.

Derek gaped at Stiles. It never occurred to Derek that Stiles would think of the way Kate treated him. It never occurred to him that Stiles cared enough to prevent anyone else from treating him like that.

"Thank you." Derek smiled fondly at the still drowsy boy.

Stiles fell back asleep his lips parted slightly as his breathing got heavier.