XI: Silver Vixen (2/2)

Meanwhile, Raviel and Saska started running towards the fortress as soon as they saw the first explosion. Inside, they found multiple harpies all crowding to a single doorway, completely oblivious to their presence.

Raviel didn't waste any time slaying them with his blade. By the time the creatures even noticed there was someone behind them half of them were dead already.

"I thought we'd be facing a little more...organized resistance," the elf commented to Saska once all had been dealt with.

"Nah, harpies are pretty simple-minded. Once they set their sights on some threat, they can't focus on anything else. Tessa must have riled them up good."

"Tessa?" Raviel called through the doorway into the darkness, now a little worried. They had agreed on this, but...

"I thought you'd trust my skills to survive a little more, Raviel," Tessa said with a charming smile as she stepped out of one of the rooms lining the corridor. Her sword was covered in crimson, but Tessa herself didn't seem much worse for the wear.

"Mostly," Raviel smiled back at her and gave her a brief kiss as she joined them back in the sunlight. "That went better than expected. Looks like we're on the clear now."

Saska shivered. There was a sudden chill running through him. "I think...it's just starting."

Immense power. Not quite as strong as the Lady of the Lake, but even darker. More bloodthirsty.

Tessa felt it too and shoved Raviel back inside just a moment before black lightning rained from the sky.

Saska tried to dodge to the opposite direction, but there was no shelter to be found. He grunted in pain as the sheer force of the dark magic pushed him down to the ground, sparks dancing on his skin. The spells carved on his skin must have protected him to some extent - that should have been deadly.

The Queen of Harpies rose from her throne room, accompanied by half a dozen more guards. Then she landed on the Outcast boy, one clawed foot firmly holding him in place even as the magic faded.

"You have a lot of audacity to invade my lair like this," she addressed Raviel and Tessa. "Come out now and I will grant you a swift death."

"Don't," Tessa spoke in hushed whisper as Raviel already moved to leave their hiding place.

"She will kill Saska if I don't," the elf replied.

"She will kill you both if you do!"

Raviel smiled reassuringly. "I still have some spells up my sleeve. Those should at least distract her. I'm counting on you to finish the job."

"Elven mage..." the Queen hissed as she laid her eyes on Raviel.

"That is correct." He drew his sword. "I am Raviel of Nightblade Clan. And I need that crystal you carry, even if it means taking your life."

As he spoke, he slowly moved away from the doorway to hopefully keep Tessa out of her sight.

She laughed. "You are welcome to try. You will fail."

With the Queen distracted with Raviel, Saska took his chances and slashed at the bird-foot with the cursed dagger he carried. Dark red, almost black, blood poured forth.

The Queen screamed in agony and flapped her wings to get away from the source of the pain.

Damn it. There went their chance to strike while she was close. "I'm sorry, Raviel," Saska tried to explain as he hurried back to the elf's side. "I couldn't think of anything else."

"It's fine. Your safety comes first." Then he closed his eyes briefly in concentration as he felt magic in the air. A transparent barrier appeared around them just in time to block another wave of black lightning.