III: The Black Wolf (2/2)

They had to wait until the night fell, with practically no chance at all to find the beast in the woods on their own. Instead they set up an ambush on the town square. While the townspeople locked their doors and waited for the wolf to take its prey and leave, they settled just inside the constable's office, swords and spells ready. Tessa also had a small crossbow to attack from afar.

Hans's granddaughter, a little girl less than 6 years of age, stood alone in the middle of the town square, holding a small lantern and trying to be brave. Grandpa and mom had both promised she would be alright, but she was still a little scared.

Just as the moon reached its zenith, a dark figure slowly walked into the town like he owned the whole place. And in a sense he did – the spineless humans had always let him do exactly as he pleased. Despite the beast's size, closer to a small bear than an average wolf, his paws made barely any sound on the dirt road.

The little girl waiting for her demise shrunk away as she saw him, but didn't run. A pity really. The ones who ran and begged for their lives were much more fun.

He stopped and looked down on her. He'd take her to his lair for now. Just like all the other "brave" ones. They always broke at some point.

Unnoticed by the wolf, Tessa carefully took aim.

"Don't kill him!" Raviel hissed.

"I know. I'll only make sure he won't get away." Then she released the bolt. It flew true and embedded itself on the beast's shoulder.

The wolf yelped in pain and stopped to look at the bolt in very human-like confusion. Then his jaws closed around the shaft and pulled the bolt free. The injury barely seemed to affect him.

"Lady's tits," Tessa swore, "That thing is a werewolf!"

"Don't you have silver weapons?" Raviel asked.

"No! I didn't think I'd end up in this situation."

"Stay back." Raviel dashed past her and unsheathed his own sword.

"I'd rather let the Raven pluck out my eyes!" Her sword was enchanted to deal with the myriad of creatures she encountered too, although it was made of steel. The crossbow had been just for hunting. Hopefully what she had would be enough against a werewolf.

The wolf watched Raviel with more curiosity than hostility until he drew his sword. Just the glint of the lantern's light on the silver-coated blade made his ears fall flat. This was no ordinary town guard he was dealing with.

...He'd just come back for the girl later. This was more risk than it was worth.

"Wait!" Raviel shouted after the wolf as it turned to flee. But the beast didn't listen.

Tessa stopped briefly at his side. "What are you waiting for? We have to go after him."

Raviel sheathed his sword. "Of course." He patted the little girl's head and gave her a soft smile. "You can go home now. We'll deal with the rest."

The paw prints were clear until they left the town. After that Raviel had to slow down a little, lest he lose the trail.

"He went this way," Tessa said, barely looking at the tracks. "Stop dragging your feet."

Was she actually a better tracker than him? He had to admit he was impressed.

They followed the tracks through the forest locals had referred to as "Wolfwood" ever since the beast had appeared. The trees and the shadow of the ridge made this area even darker than the town, although not too dark for elven – or half-elven – eyes. But Raviel couldn't find the tracks anymore. His companion kept walking with confidence, so apparently she still knew where to go.

Tessa raised her hand to signal him to stop. "I think we found it," she spoke in hushed voice and pointed to a cave at the side of the ridge. "If that's not the wolf's lair, I'll eat my cloak."

As they progressed into the cave, Raviel could smell it – dirt, old blood and pieces of rotting flesh. And above it all the pervasive smell of a wolf. But as the cave widened, what they saw was not a wolf den. It was simple and plain, but definitely a human dwelling, with dry moss and crude furs forming a bed on one side, a fire pit with faintly glowing embers and a small table and stool. But no wolf in sight.

Tessa drew her sword. "He is here. Be ready."

Raviel also unsheathed his blade and lit one of the sturdy branches piled near the fire pit to serve as a torch. He could see well enough to move in the darkness and make out large shapes within 20 feet or so, but not beyond that. In better lighting he noticed a curtain-covered alcove that had been hidden by shadows before.

Carefully he parted the curtain. Behind it were sturdy wooden bars. A cage. It was cleaned out, with fresh hay and moss piled at one side. There was even a rag doll tossed at the top of the makeshift bed.

The black wolf had kept the children here before eating them. Sick bastard. Could it really be...Could his brother really have done something like this? No, the more and more they learned of this case, the less likely it seemed.

Meanwhile Tessa studied the cavern closely. Their prey was somewhere in here. She could sense it.

It was pure instinct that made her twirl around right in time as the beast – in a half-between form, a burly brute covered in fur – jumped at her from a tunnel mouth high on the wall. But it could not keep the sheer weight from pushing her over. Her blade, her only protection against supernatural creatures, clattered to the ground and just barely out of her reach.

The beast's breath, smelling of rotten meat, hit her face and she cringed just thinking of those jaws closing around her throat. But...for some reason the creature stopped and pulled back a little.

Just then arcane bindings like liquid metal appeared around the werewolf. The creature snarled, turning his head towards the elven mage. Tessa seized this chance to twist around, grab her sword and drive it through the beast's stomach.

The expression on the werewolf's face could only be described as disbelief as she freed her blade and kicked him off of her. With the enchantment on her weapon, that wound was lethal. Then she quickly got back to her feet.

"Are you alright?" Raviel hurried to her side.

"Yes. I'm fine. Just a little shaken."

Raviel turned to look at the werewolf, who was lying on his side, clutching his stomach, and groaning in pain. "I understand that you had to defend yourself, but we agreed not to kill the beast until-"

"He's not your brother," Tessa interrupted him. "Look at his eyes."

They were both green. Then why..? Had the locals been tricked by a reflection of light? No, he was certain the wolf had actually had one amber eye. But no longer.

The beast's form wavered, the black fur disappearing rapidly. In its place was left a naked, scarred man.

"Heh. Don't harm the silver vixen, he said. Never thought...I'd have to keep that promise," he mumbled, looking at Tessa.

"What are you rambling about?" Raviel asked. The man didn't answer, his eyes closing. "Hey!"

"Leave it." Tessa nudged the body with her boot. "He's dead."

"Do you know what he meant?"

Tessa shrugged. "Many a man has called me a vixen, both those who like it and those who'd rather I be a submissive wife instead. A secret admirer? Someone who owes me a favor? I have no idea."

"Any of them powerful sorcerers? Shapeshifting is not exactly a child's spell."

"..."

"Tessa, do you know something I don't?"

She shook her head. "Nothing for certain. But you know, lycanthropy is transferred by being bitten. It doesn't take a powerful sorcerer. So...if you want to know who he was talking about, you'd have to scour the entire world for werewolves. Personally, I'd just collect my reward and leave it be."

"You're awfully carefree about this."

She gave him a playful grin. "Hey, I could be monster chow tomorrow. In a way it's a nice thought there's someone out there who'd want to protect me." Then she took his arm. "In addition to you, of course. Thanks for the save."