III: The Black Wolf (1/2)

"Hey, look! It's Tessa!"

"Gorgeous as always, even covered in mud. Maybe she'd let me wash her clean."

"And continue straight under the covers, right? You wish."

Tessa looked at the two men bantering at one of the tables in the tavern and gave them a seductive smile. "Not today, boys," she said. "You're yet to qualify for such honor."

She was stunning to look at, and she knew that well. Slim of form, fair of face and with long silvery hair currently tied to a bun at the nape of her neck to keep it from getting caught on branches. Many a man hoped to marry her, or at least bed her, but she did not need a husband to support her. She liked her life as a hunter – whether it was beasts of the wild or bounties for less ordinary prey – and sharing her bed with whoever she fancied. And right now, after selling a stack of rare pelts – a result of weeks in wilderness -, her first priority was a nice, hot bath. Maybe the tavernkeeper's daughter, a pretty little thing, would help her get washed again.

"Yes, an elf with one eye green and the other amber. Have you seen him?"

Her ears perked and her gaze zoomed on the elf talking with the tavernkeeper. As the man shook his head, the elf thanked him and turned to leave. Tessa hurried over to him.

"I happened to overhear your question, and this might not be related, but..."

Raviel quickly looked her up and down. A warrior, with a steel sword at her hip and long knives strapped to both her thighs, and a woman at that. Not something he saw every day in this world. "Please go on."

"There's a bounty for a black wolf with green and amber eye over at Moonridge. I'm heading there once I've gathered some supplies."

It was possible. At least worth checking out. His brother had known many kinds of magic, and shapeshifting might have been one of them. "I'm afraid I don't know that place. Where is it?"

"Hmm, how about you accompany me? We could split the bounty."

"Why? You seem capable of taking on whatever comes your way on your own."

"Why, thank you." Tessa giggled. "But it gets lonely on the road all by myself." She ran her fingers lightly up Raviel's arm. "Know what I mean?"

Raviel didn't move. "I don't mean to be disrespectful, but the last time someone didn't call me pointy-ears and wish I'd be gone already I almost got killed in my sleep."

"Oh? Then she must have had an awfully bad taste. I think there are more important things than race in a man. Like...wealth, good looks and...certain talents. Besides," She turned her head slightly so that Raviel got a good look at her slightly pointed ears. "You might not be the only one who's not completely human here."

"Are you-"

She placed a finger on his lips. "No, not like you. Let's just leave it at that."

A half-elf then. Raviel's eyes flicked to the other people in the tavern. They were gathering attention, earning some catcalls how he should just thank his good fortune Tessa was even talking with him. She must have been popular here. "I don't mind teaming up to see what this black wolf is about, but I can't offer you any kind of commitment-"

Now she interrupted him with a kiss on the lips. "I'm not the type to make a commitment either, handsome. Just some pleasant memories between two travelers."

Raviel swallowed. He was by far immune to the charms of women, and it had been a long time since he'd been this close to one. And she felt alive, smelled alive – not some wraith out to trick him. Slowly he nodded.