Chapter Ten: Creating the Illusion

Violet went back inside, feeling painfully empty. Sure, part of her was glad he was gone, but the better, more truthful part of her was left completely devastated. There was no telling where he had gone, or if she would ever have the opportunity to see him again.

"Did you find him?" Violet jumped as Isabell came to her side, touching her shoulder lightly.

"No, he was long gone before I could get to him."

Isabell gave a comforting squeeze . "I'm sorry."

"It's my own damn fault."

She knew it was. If she hadn't of snapped at him, he wouldn't have left and things wouldn't have gone the way the way they did. But it happened. And he was gone.

Damn, she was going to cry again.

Sensing this, Isabell steered her back inside the building. "Let's find Freddie and get out of here. You need some sleep."

--------------------------------

The next morning, there was nothing to do but think. Isabell went out to shop and Freddie was in his room doing God knows what, and Violet didn't feel up to being with either of them just yet.

She was still in her clothes from late night before; she had collapsed into a stressed sleep as soon as they'd gotten back into the room. In times of frustration, sleep was usually her answer.

Violet pulled out her phone. Oh, how she longed to call Noel. She shouldn't. No, of course not. But...

A knock at the door interrupts her.

Who could that be?

Cautiously, she gets up and opens the door, coming face-to-face with a stranger holding an enormous bouquet of flowers.

"Miss Hemingway?" Asked the stranger.

Violet blinked in surprise. "Uh, yeah?"

"These are for you." He smiled politely and then promptly left.

Stunned, Violet held the flowers in her arms. Attached to the flowers was a small note, tied to them with a ribbon.

You know this kind of shit ain't really my style, but I did it anyway. I'm sorry.

Yours,
Noel x

She felt her eyes begin to moisten again as she hugged the flowers closer to her chest.

ANOTHER knock on the door.

She opened the door, but it was only Isabell. "Feeling any better, Vi?"

"Violet shrugged. "A bit, yeah."

"I like the flowers. From Noel?"

"How'd you know?"

"Please, who ELSE would they be from?"

Isabell had always had a knack for picking up on people, and both her and Noel were no exception. She often knew what she was going to say before she had the opportunity to even open her mouth, and it seemed like she had Noel pretty well figured out.

"I think you need a shower."

Violet raised an eyebrow. "Do I smell that bad?"

"No, but the hot water would do you good, and plus, I think you and I deserve a girl's day."

Violet didn't exactly feel up to it, but Isabella usually knew what would cheer her up.

Gingerly, she arose from the bed and made her way to the shower. Stripping off her clothes. The water felt comforting, it's warmth revitalizing her. But still...

She wondered what it felt like to wake up in Noel's arms in the morning, his warmth enveloping her. She wondered what it felt like to have him hug her closer, his nose resting on the her collarbone.

Stop. Stop doing this.

Lydia shook her head, turned off the water, and changed into more casual clothes.

"Ready?" Called Isabell, just in the other room.

"Yeah...I'm ready."