Chapter Six: Don't Be Nice To Me

Before she knew it, the show was over, and waves of fans started exiting the venue. Noel walked up to her, covered in sweat, smiling softly.

"Enjoy the show?" Noel asked.

Did he want her to say anything about the song he had written for her? She had no idea what to even say, so it was probably best if she didn't say anything about it yet. "Um, yeah. It was great."

"I know it was."

She rolled her eyes for the thousandth time that day. "Don't be a dickhead."

"Not bein' a dickead, just bein' honest."

"Yeah, yeah whatever." She replied, shaking her head, smiling even though she didn't want to.

They left the venue and started down the street.

"Hey," Said Violet, looking around in confusion. "our hotel is the other way."

"I know that, sweetheart. Going for a bit of sightseeing. We're in Paris, after all."

Paris.

It just hit her.

They were in Paris. One of the most beautiful cities ever. The city of love. She'd been so busy with Noel that she'd hardly even taken notice.

"Where are you taking me?"

He looked at her from the corner of his eye. "All in good time, all in good time."

It was cold, but it felt nice. The city lights were breathtaking. Violet had grown up in a small rural town, so cities had always been so intriguing to her. There was a small bridge and they stopped at the very middle, where there was a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower and the rest of the city.

It wasn't too late, only about nine o' clock. The moon was full, sitting to their left, like an old-time companion.

Noel went to the edge of the bridge, and rest his elbows on the side, looking out to the water "So what'd ya think of my song?"

She gulped. "I liked them all."

'Great job,' Thought Violet, mentally kicking herself.'play dumb, because that will totally work.'

"Not the ones from my albums. The one I wrote for ya."

"Oh, yeah, that song." Violet shifted from foot to foot uncomfortably. "It was a nice gesture."

He turned around, a look of surprise on his face. "A nice gesture?"

"Um, yeah. It was nice."

"You didn't like it?"

"No, no, I loved it."

He was closer to her. He didn't seem mad, just completely confused. "Then why do ya seem so uncomfortable? I thought it'd flatter ya."

"Believe me, I am flattered, but I can't..."

"Can't what?"

What was she to say. No matter what she told him, she knew it would be a shit reason. "I...can't have you doing...that."

"Doing what?"

"Being nice."

"Being...nice?"

Violet nodded almost sheepishly. It sounded odd, even to her, but it was true. "Yeah."

"That don't make an ounce of sense, Hemingway." He was looking at her with those damn pretty eyes of his again, the kind that seemed to be able to see right through her. The eyes that had seen so much pain and suffering. The eyes that held so much wisdom and intelligence. "You know I fancy ya. Why would I not be nice to ya?"

"Because I don't want you to."

"What?"

"I don't want you to be nice to me. Because if you do...then I'll like you. And I can't like you. If I do..." She looked down. Violet couldn't bare to see those damn eyes any longer.

Then she felt a hand cup her cheek and raise her face so that they could make eye contact again. His hand was surprisingly warm against her cold cheek.

He was so close, just as close as the first night they met, except this time he wasn't smirking. This time he was completely serious, looking at her with an intensity that scared the shit out of her.

"And what's so wrong with that? I mean, fuck me, I'm already crazy for ya, Hemingway."

"Don't say that." Said Violet.

"It's true. I was crazy about ya the second I saw you, no lie." He paused. "The first night we met, I went back to me hotel room and wrote that song. That's how much I liked ya."

"Noel--"

"--It's true. And I know you feel the same way. Admit it. I know I'm a dickhead, but you like me."

Did she feel the same? Of fucking course she did. Sure he was the biggest prick that had ever walked the Earth, but still, she was completely enamored by him.

But...she couldn't tell him that.

No.

Never.

"Noel, you're a nice guy, but--" She started to speak but before she knew it his lips were on hers. Just for a moment, and then they were gone, almost like it never happened.

"Tell me," He said softly. "Tell me that you didn't like that."

She was silent, too stunned to speak. He had just kissed her.

"That's what I thought." He said and his lips found hers again, this time longer and more hungry. He tasted of cigarettes and alcohol but it wasn't a bad thing. It was nice and warm and comforting, especially in the chilly night air.

At first she was hesitant, letting him take the lead as they kissed, but the longer it went on, the more comfortable she felt. Little by little, she started to take a little more control. Her hands were holding onto his shirt tightly, while one of his hands was still resting on her cheek, while the other had taken its place at her hip.

She was caught in a moment of complete bliss before reality struck her like a sledgehammer.

No.

This was wrong.

Violet immediately let go of his shirt and pushed him away, breaking the kiss. She wiped her mouth and stepped back several feet. "I shouldn't have done that."

Noel looked stunned. "Why the hell not? You were kissin' back!"

"It's wrong. Noel you may not know it, but you're feelings are going to change about me. You may like me now, but ten months from now, you'll be tired of me."

"Bullshit!"

"No, it's true."

"The hell it is! Don't be stupid!" He was angry now, stepping towards her.

"I'm not being stupid. I'm being realistic." Violet was holding back tears now. She was clenching her fists, and trying hard not to cry. She couldn't let him see how hard this was for her. "You're a rockstar, Noel. You'll get tired of having to deal with me when you could have much more beautiful women than me."

"So this is what this is all about? You don't want to get hurt?"

"I can't risk it. I've been hurt to many fucking times Noel. I can't take another time, especially not from you."

"I ain't gonna hurt you, Violet." He had his hand out offered to her, wanting her to come back to him. His eyes were so earnest, it nearly killed her.

"I don't believe you." She took another step backwards, away from him. "I'm sorry but I can't do this."

She took off running, leaving Noel behind yelling her name.

She was leaving.