Chapter Eight: Get the Fuck Up

The BRIT awards arrived quickly, and even though Violet was thrilled, she was also nervous beyond words. Sure, they'd played at Wembley--their biggest gig yet--but this was gonna be broadcasted everywhere.

Violet studied herself in the mirror with a critical eye. She was wearing an army green bomber jacket, a Beatles Shirt, black skinny jeans, and silver high-top shoes. It was an odd look, but it was her style, so she went with it.

Jesus, the BRIT Awards were tonight.

And Noel would be there, she knew he would. He had been nominated as well.

God help her.

It had been a month since she'd last seen him that night, and she still felt like a complete and utter piece of shit.

"You ready? Freddie's already at the Venue getting ready with sound checks." Asked Isabell, making the final touches on her hair.

Violet was brought back to reality. "U-Uh. Yeah. I'm ready. Let's go."

Their hotel wasn't too far from the awards so it didn't take long to get there.

They arrived at the main building shortly. After showing their passes, they were lead into a large room filled with dozens and dozens of table. Everywhere she looked, she saw so many musical talents it nearly overwhelmed her. She saw Alex Turner, Yannis Philippakis, and even Julian Fernando.

There were place cards at each of the seats, directing each persona to where they should sit. Isabell's seat was on one side of the room. 

"I'll see you in a bit." Said Isabell as she left to sit. Violet then went to go find her seat.

She sat down at their table, relieved. She had been afraid that Noel would be at her table because of course that would be her luck, but God spared her this time. Instead it was Kevin Parker, singer of Tame Impala, sitting besides her.

"Ah, well if it isn't Miss Violet Hemingway!"He smiled as she sat down.

They'd never spoken before, but they were both well aware of each other. Not only that, but they were competing against each other for the award tonight.

"It's me indeed." She laughed. "I guess they wanted the competition to get familiar with each other."

"Perhaps so, but I find it funny that they didn't place all the bands together. All my bandmates are scattered all over the room."

"Mine are too." Violet pointed to the table sitting quite far to the left. "My friend Isabell is way over there. I have no idea where my drummer is sitting though."

He chuckled. "I guess they want us to 'mingle'."

"Yes, I guess so."

"So, I saw about you and Noel Gallagher."

She looked at him but tried not to show the fear that she felt. "Oh...what did you see?" She tried so hard to sound casual even though she could feel her heart hammering in her chest.

"I saw the pictures of you and him at the airport in Paris, you both seemed pretty happy together. You still a thing?"

"No, no, nothing like that. We weren't even a 'thing' in the first place."

She wasn't completely lying, right?

Kevin looked skeptical. "You sure about that?"

"Uh, yeah, we haven't even talked in the last month, to be honest."

A puzzled look. "Why not?"

"I don't know, just haven't."

Just then a voice came from behind both her and Kevin. "Yeah, mate, I'm gonna need ya to get the fuck up."

Kevin turned around, surprised. "What?"

"Well me an' my missus have got to have a little chat, and I'd appreciate some privacy, so as I said before, get the fuck up."

Kevin turned back to Isabell, a look of both surprise and confusion on his face. Violet blushed in embarrassment. "Um, yeah, Kevin will you please just sit somewhere else for just a bit?"

Kevin slowly arose from his chair. "Yeah...I guess..."

She gave a small embarrassed smile. "Thank you, I'm so sorry."

Noel sat down.

"I can't believe you were just that rude to Kevin!"

Noel made a flippant movement with his hands."Ain't like it matters, I needed to talk to you."

"You didn't have to be a dick to him."

"Well ya haven't answered me phone calls or any of me efforts to get back in touch with ya. What else was I supposed to do?"

Violet was silent. She clasped her hands in her lap and looked down, ashamed. After a moment, she spoke. "I'm surprised you even wanna talk to me."

"Why the hell wouldn't I?"

"Because I...you know...that night on the bridge..."

"Ya really think I'm gonna let summat like that be an obstacle fer me? I'm Noel fuckin' Gallagher."

She almost laughed. Same ol' Noel. "Good point, I guess."

"But I am curious...why haven't ya answered any of me calls?"

'Because I was scared shitless,' was what Violet wanted to tell him. Instead, she said "...I just didn't know what to say."

"The truth would've been nice, Hemingway."

The truth.

The truth was that her feelings for him scared her. The truth was that she liked him way more than she should. The truth was something that he should never find out.

"I just..." Violet searched for the right words. "I just think maybe we should just forget about it."

"It?"

"Yeah, it. Everything."

Noel shook his head, adamant. "No fuckin' way. I let you get away one time, Hemingway. I'm not doing it again."

"But we--"

"Don't go arguin' with me again."

"I'm not arguing with you."

"Yes ya are."

"No I'm not."

Noel swept a hand through his hair in frustration. "For fuck's sake! I like you, you like me— we should be together. What is so hard about that for ya to understand?"

"I understand perfectly, but we have to be realistic."

"Fuck realistic."

She shook her head. "I can't afford that, Noel."

"Why?"

"Because if you were to leave me...I wouldn't be able to cope with that."

"I've already told you, I ain't gonna leave you!"

"You don't know that."

"I do."

Violet felt herself getting angry. This night was supposed to be special, with no arguing or conflict. "Trust me, you don't. And I don't want to talk about this right now. We're at the BRIT awards for fuck's sake so let me just enjoy this."

She looked away and the light's on the main stage dimmed. It was time for the awards to start.