T r ē d e c i m

I D Y L L I C

"If it comes, let it. If it goes, let it." ~Anonymous.

This coffee is mind-blowing. It is hot and perfect for this cold chilly weather. The roads are damp and the mist is slowly starting to blow away. I smile to myself as the froth sits on my upper lip, creating a delicious moustache that I swipe away with my tongue. The bitterness lies at the back of my throat, but I don't mind. Just like the bitterness I have in my life, present, but intentionally, left unnoticed.

It's a new fresh start today. A brand new day. A few more hours to breathe. A few more hours to enjoy; make the most out of. A few more hours added to life. And that's pretty awesome, if you ask me. As you may know, I am highly accident prone.

The cab driver in front of me enjoys his hot black coffee as well, sighing in content after every hot gulp. I caught him occasionally looking at me through the rear view mirror, smiling to himself like a parent who is proud of his kid. Honestly though, as creepy as it sounds, I like him. He's cool. He even bought me this coffee. It's funny how when you look at things differently, people change. When you're happy, people around you are happy.

My feet subconsciously tap the cab's base. It's something I do every time when I am anxious, excited or in a rush. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm feeling all three today. Thinking about these few days, I can't help but feel an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. These few days have been nothing like any of the other days that I have lived. I have met so people, with so many different stories to tell. I actually feel pretty privileged to have met such wonderful people. Moreover, I'm glad my city home was so close to the hospital. Not in another state. But here. Lucky, right?

The glass fogs up as the steam from my coffee rises to settle on the cold window. I draw a spot on the foggy window and look through it.

This is actually really inconvenient.

Rolling the window down, I stick my head out earning a disapproving grunt from the driver.

Okay then...

The streets are slowly starting to fill up as people are heading for work and their other duties. The shops slowly start to open and customers are ready to pack their items for the week. Old men and women stand in a circle as they talk, probably about their worried children, playful grandchildren and of course, their daily TV shows. Dogs and their dog owners playfully run around the ground starting of the day with excitement and happiness. I frown when I see a frowning couple sit on a bench, as we stop in the signal. The woman walks off, not leaving the man a word, her forehead still bearing that frustrated frown as the man huffs and stares at the road. His eyes meet mine. I offer a small smile, a reassuring one. I could tell she really loved him. Everything would be fine. To my surprise, he smiles back, a slightly confused expression on his face. He is probably wondering why I tried to lighten up his mood. Well, I guess my new favourite thing is to spread smiles like Herpes.

I start to see familiar buildings; one's that I crossed a while ago. I guess we are getting closer to the hospital. My heart bets faster thinking about Harold. The doctor called the driver. Being a small town, I guess everyone knew about that suicidal kid who ran in front of a cab in the middle of the road. The driver Dennis, told me a while ago how it happened. I'm surprised I didn't go flying to the other side of town. Talk about good quality brakes.

I can see the bright blue and red lights of a seeding ambulance a few metres ahead of us. That means the hospital is close by. I start tapping my feet harder and faster than before. That weird feeling in my gut is much more prominent that before.