Chapter One: First Day Jitters

Hi, I'm Denia, and this is my life as a foster kid. It's my first day as a sophomore at Kellum High school.

"BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!" I suddenly hear my annoying alarm clock. I roll over facing the time bomb and yank the cord that unplugs it. "Denia, you need to get up!" Sasha, or, shall I say, my "Mom", shouts.

Jumping out of my bed, I race over to pick out what I want to wear. I decide on a simple grey V-neck and some dark blue jeans for school.

"Hmm... now what shoes?" I say to myself, then pick up my white Converse and put them on. My phone goes off with a text message. I look to see that it's my best friend:

J- Hey! U ready 4 SOPHOMORE YEAR!?
D- Kinda sorta. I am SOOOOO exhausted...!

I text Jen back and head to the kitchen, following the aroma of apple oatmeal in the air, YUM! Kenzie, my foster sister, is already done eating.  "Hey Denia, finally awake I see," Kenzie says laughing.

Something you should know about Kenzie and I is WE DON'T GET ALONG. She thinks since she was the first to get fostered so she is soooo special. Trust me, it's annoying. Plus, she is FOREVER nagging me for my hobbies, inevitable flaws, and, of course, how long I sleep.

Yawning, I answer back, "Uh-huh, glad you noticed someone besides yourself." I join Kenzie at the island to eat as she rolls her eyes at my simple outfit. I swear she is the devil's blonde sister.

"Really Denia, you couldn't have worn anything nicer?" Kenzie puffs.

Just because I'm wearing something that makes me, ME!? I scream in my head. Sometimes it's just better to say nothing at all.

I choose to ignore that comment and simply eat my oatmeal. Finishing up my oatmeal I get a text again
I put my bowl in the sink and check who texted me.

C- Hey D , want me to come pick you up? I already have Jen.
D- Hey C , that sounds good! See you in a bit.

After that Sasha comes in the kitchen , giving me a hug and saying "You look cute , and Russell already left for work. He said have a good day and that he loves you." I smirk and answer "Thanks Sasha I mean mom and I'll make sure to text him later."

It's always been hard to call my foster parents "Mom" and "Dad" especially since I know I won't live with them for long. Sasha continues to wash my bowl , so I go to the restroom to brush my hair and teeth. Yet again I get a text.

C-I have arrived ! Hurry outside , I can't wait to see you!
D-Alright ! I'm coming! XD
C-Get off your phone and come outside!

Ha-ha aww I really missed my Chad!I hurry to get my PINK brand backpack in the color pink and swing it over my shoulder. Running to the door I say a quick bye to Sasha and Kenzie (sadly). Once I get outside I see Chad's black jeep. "Honk , honk." The horn of Chad's jeep sounding.

"Get in!" Jen shouts. I've decided to open the driver door and bear hug Chad. "Well hello , Denia you're crushing me." Chad says while gasping for air. We all three start laughing , it's good to laugh with my bestfriends again. "Sorry Chad,  I just missed you since you left us for Germany!" I say pretending to cry as I enter the backseat.

Jen comments "Yeah, you did leave us for Germany for half the summer!" Here we go picking on Chad already , good times. "Hey in my defense , It was my parents dream to go there and I went for their sake!" Chad says.

After the Germany fiasco is all done , Jen turns the radio on. I couldn't believe the song that was playing was "That's What I Like" by Bruno Mars! All three of us basically sang the WHOLE song, but let's spare the details.