10: And Then I'm Falling

I had always thought that I'd be scared just before I died. While I was trapped in his flat, I'd thought about my own death many times. I'd tried to find any way I could to do it myself, but he was smart enough to leave me with no way out. Even as I planned it, hoped for it, I always thought that I'd be scared when I did it.

But as I stand there waiting for Jay's finger to pull the trigger, I just feel relief. It's like a warmth spreading from my head to my toes, making me quiver with delightful anticipation. I feel my face relax into a smile, and I'm glad that the last expression Jay sees on my face is a happy one. I don't want him to think I'm scared, or that I'm regretting making him promise. The gunshot doesn't even make me jump, I'm so wrapped up in my sense of relief. And then I'm falling. And then pain explodes throughout my body and I'm screaming.

What the fuck?! Did he miss? He was supposed to go for a headshot, quick and easy. So why is my whole body on fire? And what the fuck is crushing me?

I force my eyes open, the pain making it hard for me to do anything. The sicko is sprawled on me, the side of his head blown off. I feel something wet and warm on my face, and from the pulp that used to be the sicko's skull, I'm pretty sure it's part of his brain smeared all over me. My stomach rolls and I gasp. Oh god, I can't think about that. Suddenly the weight is gone and Jay's face is all I can see. His eyes are flashing red and blue and I'm so confused. I can see his mouth moving but everything sounds like I'm underwater. Then I see a face I never thought I'd be relieved to see. It's the sheriff. He holds his gun in his hand, and from the way that it's shaking, I know it was him that fired the shot.

I become aware of everything around me all at once. There are emergency vehicles converged on the road outside the car park. Officers are arresting the bikers that had attacked us, and firemen are starting to tackle the burning bikes. I can see the others at the front door but the police are stopping them coming out. Skids and Smiler are fighting against them and I know they won't stop until they see I'm fine. Jay is still talking to me, and when he shakes my shoulders I scream. His face pales and he steps back. I take a deep breath.

"It's okay. I'm okay. Just get me up," I tell him. He puts his shoulder under my good arm and stands, but the pain blinds me temporarily. I bite back another scream, and he pauses when I'm standing.

"I can walk," I say, and he lets me go but doesn't move far away. I see the relief on the other's faces and a small laugh escapes me.

The sheriff approaches the officers guarding the door and we're allowed through, but there's only one thing on my mind right now.

"I'll be back in a sec," I tell Jay, walking around the side of the building before he can argue. He tries to follow me but an officer stops him.

I grit my teeth as I climb back through my window, calling out to Mel.

"Mel? It's just me."

"Oh thank god!"

The bathroom door bursts open and she grabs me into a hug before I can stop her. A grunt of pain escapes me and she pulls back, noticing the blood covering my torso.

"I'm okay. Let's get out there before the guys have a meltdown."

She laughs and wipes away her tears. She's been crying for a while because her eyes are red and swollen.

I look at the bed in front of the door and prepare myself for the agony of moving it.When I open the door, Sammy charges out, barking. Gesturing for Mel to go first, I follow her down the hallway, leaning on the wall with my left arm for support. When we appear behind the bar, the guys burst into action. The last thing I see before I black out is Smiler running towards me.