One in a Million

Kaylee swept down the grand staircase, her skirts brushing the floor. She scowled at the maid who was in her way and said bitterly, "Don't you have another section of the castle to clean?"

The maid bobbed a curtsy. "I'm sorry, mi'lady, but the queen wants the palace to look spotless for tonight."

Kaylee's scowled deepened. Tonight was the reason she was upset. Tonight, the ten girls chosen to compete for the heart of the prince would be chosen.

Like any of them are worth half as much as me, she thought. She was going to win this.

"Whatever. Just continue cleaning," she ordered sharply and sauntered the rest of the way down the hall.

The lady entered the dining room as if she owned the place, which she didn't. Not yet, she reminded herself. But once you get rid of the other girls and the prince admits he loves you. . . She smiled at her fantasy.

"My dear," a soft voice called from the other end of the long room. "Come, sit. We've just started."

The queen rose from her seat to hurry the young woman across to her seat next to the youngest royal, Olivia. Livvy said with a gap-toothed smile, "I wost my fwont toof today, Wady Kaywee!"

Kaylee truly smiled; it was hard not to. "Did you set it under your pillow? My father used to tell me to do that, since back in the 2000s, the little ones believed in a fairy, who would come and trade their teeth for money."

Olivia gasped. "Mommy, can I do that?! I wanna wet the faiwy have my toof!"

Queen Bridgette smiled. "Of course, darling. We let Caleb when he was a boy."

"Once or twice," the prince said, reaching across the table and ruffling his little sister's hair. "What about you, Lady Kaylee? Did you ever set your teeth under your pillow?"

The usually cheerless girl smiled softly. "A few times. But Prince Caleb, don't we have more exciting things to speak about? What about the Choosing?"

Prince Caleb rolled his eyes. "Not this again! All the ladies of the court have asked me about it. I was hoping that you of all people wouldn't!"

Kaylee laughed merrily. "Well, it is my turn to eat with the royal family. I may well get something out of it."

King Declan laughed with her. "Caleb should be excited. I was for my Choosing! All the girls were so beautiful, but none as much as my Bridgette." He patted the queen's hand softly. "We had such a great time together, despite my not knowing her until she was Chosen. Were you planning to enter, Lady Kaylee?"

"Well, it does say all eligible ladies," she smiled guiltily. "But with the thousands of other girls who entered, well, there's not much of a chance."

"Nonsense!" the king cried. "You have more of a chance to be chosen than any. Say, one of the maids. You there!" he barked at a blonde girl who had just entered. "You work here, don't you?"

She stared at him, then ducked her head and curtsied. "I'm just here for today, Your Highness. I work at Lord Withington's manor. Usually."

"Did you enter the Choosing?"

"Yes, mi'lord."

"See, Lady Kaylee, this girl has as much a chance of beating you in the Choosing as of becoming a lady of the court herself!" He bellowed with laughter and Kaylee joined in, but not before sending a withering glance at the little maid.

The blonde girl blushed and quickly left the room while Kaylee giggled and took a delicate bite of her croissant. "I'm sure tonight will be very exciting," she said, still smiling at the prince.

"I'm ick-cited," Olivia said, sitting up straighter and copying Lady Kaylee's elegant nibbles. The sweet girl thought Kaylee was the greatest, especially because unlike the other ladies of the court, Olivia was sure Kaylee would never want to marry her brother.

"Prince Caleb, you are excited, aren't you?" Kaylee asked as they finished the meal.

The prince forced a smile. "Of course. After all, if I wasn't it would break my mother's heart." His voice dropped to a whisper for the last sentence, and they both glanced at Queen Bridgette, sitting quietly. Kaylee could see the weariness that had set in. 

"Once you marry, you become king, do you not?"

"Yes. But. . .Kaylee, how long have I known you?"

"Ever since we were children, and you would come to my father's estate. And we would play in the trees behind the farmhouse, pretending to be Robin Hood and Maid Marion, from the old storybooks your mother would read to us." Kaylee smiled slightly at the memory of two innocent children.

"And then when you were seven. . ."

"My father lost his land." Kaylee's voice had taken on a sharp tone, and she tugged at her bodice. "But your mother let me stay here and be raised as a lady of the court. I would dare to say that I'm your oldest friend. After all, I'm the only lady to stay in your mother's good graces for more than three years. It's been eleven since I can to live here."

The prince was smiling as well now, staring at the girl who he had known almost since birth. "Lady Kaylee, I trust you, and so you should know, I don't want to be king."

Lady Kaylee could only gape. "But, Caleb. . ."

"Don't tell anyone, Kaylee. I don't want anyone to know."

Caleb disappeared through the door, with Kaylee staring after him.

                                                   ~ ~ ~

Kaylee went upstairs to put on a fresh gown for the Choosing, but ended up sitting on her bed, staring at the ceiling. "Doesn't want to be king?" she murmured. "Why ever not?"

She sighed and got up, selecting a fancy light blue gown from her extensive closet and rang for a maid.

A girl about her age ran in, looking tired. "Yes, mi'lady?"

Kaylee rolled her eyes. "Are you dim? Help me with this gown," she commanded, raising her arms above her head.

"Yes, Lady Kaylee," the girl murmured and obediently took of the old purple dress and replaced it with the blue one. "Is there anything else you need?"

"That will do."

"Yes, mi'lady." The girl bowed as she left and Kaylee sniffed and made a mental note.

She's too obedient. Tell the king to fire her.

Lady Kaylee left the room and walked downstairs, head held high, ready for the Choosing.

I'm ready. Let's go see who the future queen will be.