Chapter 4: Rebuild

"This is the M4 Carbine," Sergeant Banks said as he hefted the black, automatic weapon in front of him for the group of recruits. "It employs NATO standard 5.56 by 45 millimeter ammunition. It is a gas-operated weapon with rotating bolt action and fires its bullets at a speed of 2900 feet per second. Designed as a high velocity weapon, its sole purpose is to inflict maximum bodily damage on the enemy troops. One hit from this baby and your enemy will be face down in the mud in about a half-second flat."

He glanced up at the group in front of him. "By the time you are done with basic training, you will be able to properly use this weapon in the field, know how to tear it apart, clean every inch, and put it back together—blindfolded. This weapon is your life, and your fellow soldiers', so treat it with the respect it deserves."

He handed the unloaded weapon around to each of the recruits so they could test its weight and check the sights. "We're lucky to be one of only four National Guard units receiving this weapon, which is slowly replacing the M-16 you may know from movies and television."

Finn was handed the weapon once Graham was finished looking at it and his hands immediately seemed to know exactly where to go on the grip, trigger and barrel stock. He held it comfortably against his shoulder, aiming it at the top corner of the ceiling and away from everyone else as instructed. It was a bit heavier than he would have guessed and he realized there must have been a lot more metal inside the weapon than he had initially thought.

Sergeant Banks nodded in approval. "Not bad, Hudson. Seems you're a natural at handling the weapon. Your grip is almost textbook perfect."

Finn smiled widely at his senior non-commissioned member. "Thank you, Sergeant." It was a rare day indeed when Sergeant Banks complimented anyone in their unit, so he wasn't going to turn away any praise directed towards him.

Banks nodded then turned to the rest of the group. "So, everyone, this is the weapon that will be issued to you later this morning. Once issued to you, it will be your responsibility to care for it until it is returned to the armoury tonight. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes, Sergeant," they all said in unison.

"I can't hear you, Recruits. Does everyone understand?" Banks yelled out in a commanding voice as he held his hand to his ear.

"YES, SERGEANT!"

Finn smiled a bit and resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He had always thought Rachel was the most over-dramatic person he'd ever known; even despite how much he loved her. Sergeant Banks, however, was quickly proving to him that overdramatic tendencies weren't limited to petite brunettes with an eye towards singing on Broadway.

"Good. Now, Corporal Antho is going to go over the basic safety issues you need to be aware of before we head out to the firing range tomorrow. Listen carefully and take notes because I don't want to have to fucking repeat everything tomorrow morning. There'll be enough going on handling live ammunition and all that other shit. Are we clear?"

"YES, SERGEANT!" The group echoed in unison, learning quickly that they'd have to yell or else go through the same requirement to repeat themselves as before.

"Excellent. One thing I love about this group is your ability to learn quickly. Now grab your pens and notebooks, and listen carefully. Corporal Antho, take over please."

"Yes, Sergeant!" Antho agreed, coming to attention and walking quickly to the front of the classroom, taking over the duties at the lectern. With a remote control in his hand, he pointed it towards an overhead projector which came to life, displaying on the large screen behind him a Power-Point presentation. The highly original title of Firearms Range Safety flashed on the wall. "Listen up, 'cause I'm only saying this once!"