Survival Skill #24

Start from the beginning

Eventually, I stop in front of a steep rocky wall and point up. “Think you can climb this?”

Mo shields his eyes and looks up at the ridge. “Does an Englishman drink tea?”

I motion to him. “Age before beauty.”

He doesn’t hesitate and quickly scales the face of the wall with ease. I crawl up behind him, gripping the tiny ledges with my fingertips. Right when I reach the edge, Mo holds out his hand.

I shake my head. “No, thanks. I can do it.”

He smiles at me. “You know, it’s okay to accept help sometimes. Doesn’t mean you’re weak or anything.”

Man, this guy nails my psyche better than Dr. Head. “Fine. I’ll let you this one time, but only because you begged me.” I clasp his hand and allow myself to be swept up by him.

The flat ridge overlooks a deep canyon unobstructed by trees. The sky stretches out before us, creating a ceiling painted with the grey of a pending rain mixed with the pink of a long-setting sun. The stars peek through the blazing sky and a teasing wind flicks the back of my hair.

Mo’s voice is breathy. “Brilliant.”

I smile. “Told yah.”

I suddenly realize we are still holding hands. The moisture between our palms keeps my hand cool. It seems embarrassingly personal to share sweat. We stand close together. Wait, am I dreaming? I subtly pinch my thigh with my other hand and wince.

Nope, this is real all right.

As we clutch hands, the crimson sun dips slowly behind the green curtain of treetops. Bands of orange, red, and pink transform into a blueish gray as the fading light casts an odd-shaped shadow over the mountain narrows. Silhouettes of bats flutter and zing across the sky, feeding on unsuspecting insects.

The air turns a bit cooler. I don’t want to break our connection, but I do want to show him I can take care of myself.

I let my hand slip out of his. “I’ll start a fire.” I gather sticks together and tuck clumps of dry moss under the miniature twig teepee. Using my flint, I set off a few sparks until a small fire takes hold of the mound. Then I blow lightly until the flames dance out from under the twigs.

Mo moves closer. “Wow, a cute girl and a warm fire? Who could ask for more?”

My face heats up, and I’m not sure if it’s from the flames or the compliment. I poke at the fire with a branch. Sparks twitter in the air and flit off into the darkening night.

He leans back against a tree with his hands behind his head. “See, I’m fine letting a girl take care of me.”

“I bet you are.”

He exhales and relaxes his whole body. A silly smirk on his face. “How’d you find this place?”

I snap a few twigs in half and toss them onto the fire. “I come up here sometimes to clear my head.”

Mo pats the seat next to him. “To think about your dad?”

I twirl the bracelet on my wrist. “Among other things.”

“You want to talk about him?”

I sit next to him, not too close, and check him out in the orange light. Slivers of shadows flicker across his face. “Not really.”

He draws back the drape of hair hiding my face and tucks it behind my ear. “We haven’t really talked about him since you told me about everything. You still worried about those noises?”