Survival Skill #27

Proper navigation consists of three distinct stages: orientation, navigation, and route finding.

~

I spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon searching for more evidence. As usual, no finds. I pick up my rod and wade into the water to wait for Mo. I quietly cast, allowing some of my frustrations to drift away in the water’s ebb. Eventually, my body relaxes and Mo’s smile creeps in.

Goosebumps prickle my arms as I picture our first kiss. Again. I’m so caught up in my daydreaming that my line gets caught in a tree.

“Hello, Blossom,” a low voice says.

I jump. “Why do you always do that?” I spin around to find him perched on top of a large boulder.

He’s lying on his back with both hands behind his head and one knee propped up. Perfect and poised. Like some kind of lazy nature god.

My cheeks blaze in embarrassment, wondering if he can hear my thoughts. “How long have you been watching me?” I can’t see his eyes through the dark sunglasses.

“Long enough.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“I was afraid to.”

“Very funny.”

“Actually, I just fancy watching a pretty girl fish. Is that a crime?” He smiles and motions to my line, still dangling from a limb above. “You trapped?”

I want to say, you have no idea. Instead, I smile. "Not quite.” I jerk my rod and the line slumps out of the tree, snaking around me. I wade through the rippling current toward the embankment. “Wanna join me?”

Mo pushes his sunglasses up on his forehead. “What happened to stranger danger?”

“I think we’ve made progress.”

“Well, how can I refuse then?”

I skip across a few slimy rocks until my foot slides out from under me. I attempt to recover, but this time, I lose the battle and tumble into the shallow stream. A bit shocked, I roll into a sitting position and wipe my face with my shirt, hoping the redness washes off with it.

I’m an idiot.

Mo bends over me with a big grin strung across his face. “Bloody hell, are you all right?” He stretches out his hand to help and, this time, I accept it.

Only instead of pulling up, I yank on his arm, catching him totally off guard.

A look of shock replaces his blazing smile as he tumbles into the river. He catches himself with his hands, but not before his face smacks the water. I immediately crack up. It feels good to laugh again. Like really laugh.

Mo springs to his feet in a nanosecond and plasters on an I’m-going-to-get-you expression. He cups his hands together and splashes me, soaking the small part of me that’s still dry. I fight back with a fury, kicking water in his face. At this point, we’re both hysterical. When I see my chance, I slop off through the water, lifting my legs high for speed.

Mo chases after me.

Screaming, I try to escape, but he tackles me. As I scramble to get away, he clutches onto my ankle and pulls me backward. Rolling over, I fight him by squirting water in his face.

Instead of splashing back, he holds down my hands and kisses me. I feel as if I’m gliding on top of the river like a canoe. The water sloshes in my ears. We kiss for several long minutes before parting.

I frown. “I think that was cheating.”

“All’s fair in love and water war. Couldn’t let myself be brought down by a girl again.” Deep crinkles spray the corners of his eyes. Water droplets fall off his dark hair and land on my lips. “Your eyes are the same color as the Alexandrite I gave you.”

I tilt my head back and laugh. “Are you serious? That’s your line! Wait, are they twinkling like the stars too?”

He smirks. “How come every time I give you a compliment, you make a joke?”

Because I’m scared to death? “Because I’m naturally funny?”

He doesn’t bite. “Maybe you’re afraid of something.”

I shift uncomfortably at his insight. “Of what? You? Hardly.”

Mo pecks my forehead. “No, not me. Of us.”

Us? Are Mo and I an “us”? A “we”? My face singes. For once, I can’t come up with a clever retort.

He opens his mouth as if he’s going to speak but stops short.

“What is it?”

He props his butt on his heels. “Nothing.”

“You were going to say something.” Mo doesn’t respond. Instead, he slicks back his wet hair and pulls his soaked shirt away from his toned chest, making a sucking sound. I click my lips. “Now who’s pushing who away?”

Mo holds out both hands and lifts me to my feet. Our wet bodies press against each other. He wraps his strong arms around me. “Is this close enough?”

I shrug. “Not quite.”

He pecks me on the lips. “Come on, then.”

“Where to?”

Mo tosses his backpack over one shoulder. “To my place.”

“Out here? Isn’t that a little strange?”

He shrugs like he’s never thought about it before. “I don’t think so. I like it. It’d be harder to hike in everyday and find samples. Why not just enjoy it before my semester starts up again?”

“Good point.” I try not to appear too excited at the thought of heading off into the woods with him. “But I’m all wet.”

“Don’t worry, there’s no dress code. I’ll get us warm. Plus I owe you some home cooking.”

I bite back another protest and follow him up the embankment. After gathering our things, we trek deep into the woods scattered with shadows dancing in the dimming light. The further we go, the thinner the path and the thicker the foliage. The sun is still setting in the sky, but down on the forest floor, it’s already nighttime, making it hard to follow his outline.

“Mo? Where are you?” I whisper.

A beam of light breaks through the trees a few yards ahead. “I’m over here.”

I steer in his direction, with my hands out in front, protecting my face from protruding branches and creepy spiderwebs. I wince as a wiry branch snatches onto a clump of my hair and rips several strands at the root.

Up ahead, an arching line of light sweeps across the ground and reflects off something shiny to my right. “Hey. Shine the light over here a second. I want to see something.”

Mo doesn’t answer.

Squatting down, I press the faint LED light on my watch. Something glimmers from under a pile of wet leaves. I brush my hand along the ground until my fingers touch something hard and cold. I hold up the shiny object, trying to make it out in the glow of my watch. Too dim. I try to note the coordinates too even thought it’s hard to see.

“Mo, I need your flashlight.” He doesn’t answer so I stuff the object into my pocket. “Mo?”

I try to focus on anything in front of me, hoping my eyes will adjust. The woods grow quiet. My heart flutters.

Then out of nowhere, someone grabs my shoulder.