Chapter Thirty-nine - Lucas

Start from the beginning

"She will be fine." Miranda tries to reassure me as she rubs my back.

"Ok. She's done." Alina huffs as she sits back on her legs, kneeling beside Lilly.

"How's she going?" she nods at Scarlett.

"I don't know."

I look down at her, her head resting on my lap as I kneel on the ground. I gently stroke her hair, waiting for her to wake.

"Did you want to know about the pregnancy?"

"The baby is ok?"

"Babies." she gets a twinkle in her eye as she grins. "You and your lovely wife are having twins."

"Oh, uh..." jeez twins.

Scarlett begins to stir, her eyes fluttering as she opens them, still very groggy.

"Hey."

She looks up at me, a soft smile washes across her face, she is happy to see me.

"You're ok. Alina fixed you."

"The baby?"

"All good times two."

She sits up, frowning with the pain that would still be lingering in her body.

"What?"

"There's two in there."

"You're kidding right?"

"Nope."

She grins as she thinks about it, then looks over at Lilly, still passed out on the ground, Patrick by her side.

"How's Lilly?"

"She's fine, they are just waiting for her to wake. She might be out for a while; yew stakes will do that. She is lucky it just skimmed the skin, if it had gotten her like the one you got she would be dead."

"Oh. Wait how did I survive?"

I pick up the stake, covered in her blood.

"Silver stakes don't really affect us, merely an object passing into our bodies, of course it is beneficial to have Alina here to help you otherwise you could be in trouble. The silver stakes are for the werewolves."

Lilly starts to stir; Scarlett looks around the grounds at the mess that has been left. The staff have donned gloves and are collecting the stakes, dragging the bodies to the bonfire. I could hear her thoughts as she watched them.

Was it over? Was this the big war that they were so concerned about?

"Is it over?"

Miranda looks at us with a warm smile.

"It is."

"No grand scale war?"

"There was never going to be a grand scale war. A war of sorts, yes, removing the head slayer, yes but nothing like what humans would term a war."

The moon rises high shimmering down onto the trees as they sway gently in the breeze. I can hear the creatures in the forest as they walk among the trees, the dead leaves crunching under their feet, the branches snapping. I look up at the moon, it seems so much more beautiful than before, so large and perfect. I wrap my arm around her, unable to fathom that she is pregnant, with twins, she is my wife, an eternity together. As I snuggle into her neck she looks up at the moon, the stars that twinkle down on us, again I hear her thoughts.

The sky....

"It's not red."

"What?" Miranda says.

"The realm will return as it once was; when it is done the sun will turn red."

"Shit." she mutters.

"Sure he was the slayer leader? Terrance says.

"He could have been a twin."

We all turn and look at the voice from behind, Lilly sits on the ground, still trying to recover from the stake.

"Is that possible?" Miranda looks at Scarlett.

"I guess if that was their intention, to try and fool us into thinking there was only one." she shrugs. "I only ever saw one but that doesn't mean that there wasn't another."

"Well, it isn't going to happen today, the sun has gone down." Terrance mutters. "Tomorrow we will move out, until then we should seal the secret entry."

My father nods and calls for one of his guards. I stood up, holding my hands out to help my beautiful wife to her feet. She winced with the pain.

"Bed rest."

She squinted her eyes at me as she pursed her lips, a tight scowl crossing her delicate features.

"It's our wedding night, aren't we supposed to party the night away?"

"You were just impaled by a stake, you are still in pain, you are pregnant and you have a very big day ahead of you, bed."

"Bossy boots." she grumbles.

"Stubborn pain in the arse."