Chapter Thirty-one - Lucas

Start from the beginning

"All good."

He pulls back her top lip, the fangs beginning to taper to a perfect point. I put my hand on her sternum, waiting for the beat. After a minute there was one loud thud in her chest after that, I did not hear it again that day. Just like me, she was a once a day heartbeat. The maids helped me clean her up, the blood soaking the shirt she was wearing. I put her onto the bed, waiting for her to wake from her final human slumber. I knelt beside the bed with her hand in mine, the maids quickly cleaned the robe and left me with her, alone. In the quietness of the room, the reality finally caught up to me. Did she hate me? Was it so bad here that she thought death was the better option? I thought she liked being here, her mind told me she did. Was it lying to me? Did she not love me like I thought she did?

"At least now you can give her the gifts that you bought for her so long ago." my mother tries to comfort me as she enters the room.

I softly smile as I remember the SRT Viper in the hidden garage at the back of the property. I had bought it for her in the days after we first had sex, knowing that I was on the right path I knew the replacement car would seal the deal. She loved her car so much that she had taken it on tour with her, to drive it around whenever she felt like it and me trashing it was something that annoyed her. I then thought of all the things that I had bought for her, all waiting until I was actually allowed to give them to her, all stored in a hidden room attached to the robe in my bedroom, all of it waiting for her to turn. My love will want for nothing.

"And now, you can tell her whatever you want, Terrance and Alina have granted permission, you have free reign over what you tell her."

"About bloody time." I mutter.

I look upon her as she rests peacefully. Her skin was already turning a paler powdery pink, soft and perfect. I watched with amazement as things changed in her body, her stomach rippled, tiny waves that was her body altering itself, making things right. Very soon she would be able to have those children she wants, our children. Then the thought sunk in, remembering her thoughts from the shower.

"She hates me."

"Oh Lucas don't be so melodramatic." she scoffs.

"Come on, she would rather die than be here, she would rather end her life than be with me."

"She will come around, give her time."

My mother's voice is soothing, a calm tone in such a sad time.

"No she won't. I've turned her, she will hate me forever."

"You know she had to be turned, you know what Miranda said and you know the line, the third will be taken. You knew this was how it was to be. This is the way you wanted it, remember, you told them you couldn't force her to turn, that you would rather save her than force her."

"I didn't mean like this. I never thought she would try and take her own life. Was it really that bad around here?"

Charles enters the room, looking slightly relieved. The tension that had been on everyone's faces over the past few weeks was obvious. We were all waiting for her to turn. Stubborn Scarlett turning by choice, what a joke.

"Your highness, Miranda has arrived."

"Excellent." my mother muses with a slight happiness. "Show her in."

He bows as leaves the room quietly, true to Charles' nature, quiet and frequently unseen.

"All I want is for her to love me the way I love her."

"She does, you just need to give her what she wants. What is it that she wants Lucas?"

"Her life, her family, her career, her freedom."