Chapter Twenty-one - Scarlett

Start from the beginning

"Scarlett."

Henry makes me jump as he appears beside me.

"Walk with me?"

He wanders down the stairs and I quickly scurry after him, his pace rather fast for a walk.

"Have you been shown around the castle?"

We walk down a well-lit corridor, one that I had not seen before. Not surprising, this place was huge.

"Zach gave me a tour, although I think it might have only been half of it."

Henry chuckles. "Yes, Zach usually does things a little half arsed."

"I'm here for a reason, aren't I?"

He stops by a door. "You heard?"

I nod as he opens the door, flicking on the light. I gasp at the room, full of musical equipment.

"Scarlett, you may come here whenever you feel like it, this is for everyone in our house to enjoy."

I pick up a guitar, the only instrument I know how to play and sit on a chair, quietly picking at the strings. Henry sits on a lounge opposite me, watching me play.

"Why won't he tell me?"

"Because he fears the punishment from the grand council."

"Why can't I be told?"

"Because you are human, turn and he can tell you."

I snort with a little laugh. "So, in the dark I shall remain."

"You will have to turn Scarlett, there is no ifs about this one."

Lucas walks into the room looking a little frazzled.

"Scarlett..."

I get up from the chair and put the guitar back on the rack.

"Thanks for the chat Henry but there is always an if... always."

I walk out of the room, past Lucas, ignoring him as I wander to my room.

If I thought that watching Candy go out to the formal last night was depressing, watching her leave not knowing when she was coming back was hell.

"Things will be better if you turn, trust me." she whispered as she hugged me.

"They've told you?" I frown as I pull out of her hug.

She nods, carefully looking around the room, to those that are watching. She pulls me in for another hug.

"I can't return until you have turned. So hurry up and get it over and done with."

"I don't want to take a life." I whisper sadly.

She smiles at me sympathetically as she wipes the tear that had managed to creep out.

"I know; I feel the same." Zach wanders over as he wraps his arm around her. "But sometimes there are things that make it worth it. I made my decision, I am happy with my choice."

"But that's the difference, you got to choose. Everyone keeps telling me that I have to, that I have no choice."

"It is a choice Scarlett." Zach says, his hand drops to Candy's, lacing his fingers into hers. "You have the choice to turn or you have the choice to wander these corridors until you grow old and die."

"That's not much of a choice." I pout and fold my arms.

Candy grins at me as she wraps her free arm around me, planting a big kiss on my cheek.

"Just turn damn you, you stubborn pain in the arse. Then I can come back and we can play happy families."

Zach tugs her hand.

"Come on, I want to hit the shops."

"Bye scare bear."

"Yeah, bye Candy cane." I mutter as Zach drags her out of the entry.

Another tear creeps out, watching the car leave again. I can feel Lucas move closer, the coldness lingering around my bare arms.

"Go away."

"Stop making this so hard Scarlett, just agree to it and it will be so much better."

The coldness moves up my neck, swirling gently around my jaw.

"How?" I snap at him, turning around to face him. "How will it be better? Will you actually let me be free? Will I be allowed to leave this place? Will you let me have my career? Will I get what I want or will it still be about what you want? And what of this big secret you're all keeping from me, are you planning on telling me about that?"

He was about to say something but stopped, I push past him.

"Don't bother." I mutter a little curt.