District 2: The Tribute Parade

Adriana

Our ride to the Capitol hadn't taken long. Throughout the entire ride, Cato and I sat in silence. I don't think we felt that there was anything to be said.

I just couldn't stop thinking about what Ivy's last words to me had been. She said Cato had volunteered for her; but for me too. Why would he do that? Does he feel that he needs to protect me because of Ivy? I didn't know what to think. I didn't have an answer.

*      *       *

Our district was one of the wealthier ones. But as we pulled into the Capitol, it was obvious that District 2 didn't even come close.

There were fancy skyscrapers and everything was so high-tech. It felt really odd to be in a place like this. It was surreal really.

Cato

The Capitol was amazing. None of the documentaries had done it justice. But I tried to not be distracted in any way.

Adriana and I would have to begin our training directly after the opening ceremony. I just hoped that our stylist was prepared.

*      *      *

His name was Anton Valencia. He had been a part of the District 2 prep team for seven years. But this year was his year. It was his time to shine.

Adriana

I didn't know what to expect from Anton. He seemed overly flamboyant. But I guess most of the stylists were like that.

*      *      *

Time passed quickly. Before we knew it, Cato and I were being lines up with the other tributes for the opening ceremony.

Cato

I was breathing loudly. I kept telling myself to calm down. But this was really it. It was now or never. Adriana and I had to make an impression. We needed sponsors for our time in the arena.