District 4: Meeting Finnick Odair

Josh

When I woke up the next morning I had a slight headache. I still had some excess metallic paint under my fingernails from last night.

I think the parade had gone well. But you never really know.

*          *         *

Today was the first day of training. Our mentor had been a major champion. His name was Finnick Odair.

All of the women fancied him. And not just in our district.

But that was beside the point. He had won the Games before. Maybe he could help us. Actually help us.

Alaina

"You both must have strengths," Finnick stated. But it was more of a question because he seemed to be waiting for an answer.

"I can catch fish. Finding water. I can do that," I said.

Josh spoke up, "She can catch the largest fish. Anyone else wouldn't be strong enough to successfully catch them. She's strong."

Where the hell did that come from? Great. I hated feeling like I was in debt to someone. Especially someone like Josh.

"Josh will get sponsors," I piped up.

"What?" he asked quizzically.

"He will get a lot of sponsors. Everyone likes him. People will be rooting for him. They won't want Josh to die."

"Being friendly isn't going to get me anywhere," Josh replied.

"Oh, you'd be surprised," Finnick said giving us a wink.