Forty

A/N: Warning! Warning all around. You can skip this because blood is heavily featured (although if y'all can't handle blood why ya reading a vampire book? 🤔)

"Why weren't you holding onto him better?"

"You're seriously doing this right now?" Sven countered angrily as they trekked into the woods.

"All I'm saying--"

"We can say later." Sven retorted angrily. "Can you hear him?"

Tanner shook his head. The cacophony of sounds and smells were still so new--sorting out the sound of one small werewolf was practically impossible. "Can you?"

"No he just slipped out of grip and..." emotion swelled in Sven's chest as he began to really fear what could happen. "Human aren't dangerous right? And-and weres are okay to their own?"

Tanner didn't know what to say. In theory it sounded okay but what did he really know? "Tanner?" Sven was seeking reassurance but Tanner honestly didn't know what to say.

And while Sven hadn't intentionally let him go he was still so angry with him. "Let's hope not," he snarled.

Sven knew the aggression was directly at him and pursed his lips. Truthfully he felt bad. He should have been careful. He should have kept a firmer grasp. If anything to happened to Luca-- "I'm sorry Tanner."

"I know you are. Just...keep looking." Tanner was trying to hide how afraid he was with anger and it was working. Sven already felt terrible but knowing his lover was furious was making it even harder.

They searched for two hours. Each minute felt like an hour within itself and Tanner was losing hope. This place took up 75 acres--Luca could be anywhere. He could have fallen down a hole and hurt himself. Maybe he was already... Tanner steeled himself against those kinds of thoughts. Until Tanner found a body Luca was alive and well.

"Tanner!"

The vampire froze and turned slowly as he also smelt the human--and Luca.

It was young one with a tangle of blonde hair and Luca in her arms. She had him pressed against her chest, little arms folded under his rib cage. Luca was making noises of objection but it pain. His slightly too big ears flopped with the human's giddy movement. "Puppy."
(guys i miss puppy 😭😭)

It spoke to them. It smiled showing gaps were some teeth should have been. Tanner reminded himself that it was natural--humans lost their teeth in their early stages. "Tanner what do we do?" Sven's voice trembled with panic.

The little girl--it appeared female--cocked her head ever so slightly. She hadn't ever seen a vampire who wasn't a worker so far away from the farm. "Wanna touch him?" She moved forward bravely. They seemed nice--what had momma told her? She couldn't remember her words now. "He's soft."

"Maybe I can hold him." Tanner's voice was firm. It was an order.

The tone rang on deaf ears and the little girl pondered it. "No. I want to keep him."

"Tanner!"

"Luca shift back." Tanner looked directly at the puppy who suddenly seemed much more distressed. He wanted his Daddy to hold him.

He scrabbled to get out of her arms but she had him in a compromised position--he couldn't gain any leeway to wriggle free. The fact he couldn't move mixed with Sven and Daddy's fear made him defense. He did the one thing Daddy told him to to do. He bit.