Ten

A/N: Comment & Vote!
Pic: Sven

Putting Luca to sleep was far easier than expected.

Tanner had the vampire festivity, Sutra, to think about, he realized as he sat down with a glass of blood from the Grab N Go. Sven had purchased two fresh bottles much to his pleasure. He was sipping as an unexpected guest observed him. "Sven it's rather rude to stare. Surely I don't pay you to watch me."

"I'm off the clock," Sven retorted coolly. "I was curious about your new...pet."

"He's not a pet Sven. You know better."

Never had Tanner spoken without a flirtatious edge. But much to Sven's shock, the casual attraction seemed to have run cold.
Sven blinked his electric blue eyes and leaned into the doorframe, eyeing Tanner. Tanner played as if he didn't feel his eyes until the sound of feet pattering caught both their attention. "Should I--" Sven began.

Tanner waved him off and getting to his feet. He he knew exactly who the little feet belonged to--a little wolf who ought not be out of bed. The boy had been fast asleep when he left him earlier. But, Tanner recalled, werewolves slept several times a day for a short periods. They were also notoriously light sleepers--not that Tanner felt he had made too much noise. Sven and his sparse conversation had been soft and personal.

Tanner popped in his head into Luca's room, crammed full of new furniture and items they'd bought. But the nest of toys, pillows and blankets was empty. Tanner hummed as heard the feet again--downstairs. Had Luca already slipped by? He knew he should put his foot down but Luca was probably well rested at this point and looking for his Daddy. "Luca?" He spoke softly, trying to ensure he didn't sound upset. He didn't want to scare the boy.

The feet picked up again followed by a small thud from below him. Instantly terrified his pup had been hurt, he rushed down the steps and found the ball of fur blinking blearily at the wall he had careened in when he took a corner too wide. The wolf swept his tail excitedly and tipped beginning to race into the other room.

At least he wasn't hurt, Tanner assumed.

He caught him around the middle and cuddled him close a moment to calm him. Warm brown eyes looked hopefully at him. Luca had goofy, wolf smile on his face, the pink tip of tongue poking out the side. "It's late you silly thing--aren't you tired?"

His form shrunk into his human shape. "Luca not tired. Luca wanna play with Daddy!" He chirped excitedly. "Daddy chase Luca now?"

"Chase Luca? It's late--look, the sun's gone to bed."

Tanner showed Luca the window and instantly regretted--the boy's face crumpled into horror and despair. "Daddy wake it up! Luca not like dark!" Luca wailed staring wildly at Tanner.

Tanner instantly coddled him, bringing him from the window to the couch where he could cradle his small frame properly. Luca curled up with big eyes full of tears and a pout on his lips. "It's all right sweetheart. Mr. Sun needs sleep just like little Luca."

"And Daddy?" He whispered.

Most vampires slept as a way to pass time. The New World was modeled after the human's creation. It was necessary but at Tanner's age he would feel the strain after going a few months without entering the peaceful state where his brain ran low and his body didn't consume nor need as much energy. It also did wonders during the HIV breakout of 2073. It took vampires centuries to get over the illness once the consumed it. While it couldn't kill Vampires, it severely depleted the human population they fed off.

The mass starvation had been some of the worse. But thanks to vaccines and finally the cure they were able to inject the carefully survived humans and repopulate them. The only thing that saved the humans was that they were free range and the contamination that occurred in factories never reached them.

While Tanner could always afford his blood he hated having to pay to ridiculous surcharges associated with the certified clean blood. So he slept for weeks at a time.

"And Daddy," he assured him.

"Luca only wanna go nun-night with Daddy," the boy decided grimly.

And power Tanner had to refused disappeared as the boy nuzzled in his elbow, thumb finding its way into his mouth. No wasn't an option. "Whatever you want Cupcake," he said softly.

The sat in blissful closeness until a theist clear interrupted them. Sven had his arms crossed. He was so sure why it irked him so--perhaps it was the gentleness he had never know the lover to possess? Perhaps he just felt left out having no one to hold or hold onto. Or maybe it was his allergies reacting to the beasts fur.

Either way Tanner's eyes narrowed to slits suggesting Sven find his way to his own quarters. "You have a visitor." The male voiced defensively. "Griffin--should I tell him to go?"

"No, no." Sighed Tanner. He knew this had everything to do with earlier. Tanner had expected him to come back and vent for earlier. But Luca was up so it wasn't a huge deal. "Let him in. And get Luca some water."

"I'm off the clock."

"Clock back in." Shrugged Tanner. "If two minutes truly means that much to you."

Sven uttered, 'asshole' under his breath as he went to the foyer and opened the door. He didn't greet the visitor or offer to take his coat. He didn't like how Tanner was pushing him aside. All for what? A dog? He looked at the bottled waters and turned on the tap.

The water had just been treated--it would taste awful. Sven had his own moment of amusement at it at the acrid stench of the liquid as he filled the glass. Don't get him wrong--he didn't want to hurt the thing, and besides the unpleasant after taste the boy would fine. But this was his passive way of punishing him for upsetting the peace in the household.

He dropped off the water and went to his quarters. The room was lavishly decorated. Every item was top of the line but the era was set the way it was back home. Lush colors and reminders of his life before immortality or rather, before Tanner.

He hadn't grown fond of technology. He missed the only days of pens and paper. Perhaps that was why he wrote letters that never sent? It chronicled his time and addressed to his sister: Madlune. She was long gone, her memory resting her body far below the surface, built over as time passed and new rule rose and fell in his home lands. He sat in the straight back chair and pulled a piece of oak tag off the stack, placing his ink pen against it.

He wrote slowly, savoring the moments when the pen slid smoothly over the paper.

Seven pages later, the desk was covered in his slanted handwriting. Sven lit the candle on his desk and went to folding each page carefully. He slid them into a crisp white, unmarked enveloped and sealed it with wax imprinting the red dollop with the old family crest.

He pulled the second drawer open to find it also was full--not a single paper would fit.

He opened the third and pondered getting a new storage solution. He cleaned his room briefly, toying with the radio to ease the heavy silence. He took a long warm shower, mind wandering to lands forgotten as time drove onward. Tanner claimed it normal to get nostalgic but even the ancient vampire was impressed by how the clung to the past.

The were was yet another change in his life. He would get it over it. Once he learned to forget.

QOTC: Thoughts?
Goal: 20 comments for next update!