Chapter 11 - La Tortura

Start from the beginning

"How are you?" her mother asked with a big smile, walking towards me.

"I'm okay.  How are you?"

She opened her arms and we embraced in a short hug.  "I'm better now that my baby is okay."  We both looked over at Shakira who was smiling at us.  There was as short line of stitches in between her eyebrows.

"Hi, Shakira," I said waving.  I was still standing by the door.

She smiled at me briefly then looked over to her friends.  With her face turned to her left, I was able to see the real damage the accident caused.  I softly gasped at the sight of it.

As her mother Nidia walked back over to Shakira's side, I turned to my side and looked at the doctor.  "What do you think?" I whispered with my fingers in my mouth.

With squinted eyes, she nodded sideways.  That meant 'no.' She didn't recollect anything.

"Mike, come sit down," Frank said patting an empty chair that sat beside his.

"I think I should go.  You're probably over the visitor limit."

"There were a lot more people here before you came," he said laughing. 

"Yeah.  We kicked all of her assistants and what not out.  We said fam' only.  Frank is the only one from her team we let stay."  Darryl patted Frank on the back as they shared a deep laugh.

"Please, stay," Shakira's sweet voice said to me.

I looked at her and she let our eyes make a meaningful connection this time.  I could tell she had been crying.  "Are you sure?"  Inside, I was screaming.  How could she not remember?

"I heard you came all the way from Africa to see me.  Is that true?"

"Yes.  Very true," I said nodding.  "It was a very long flight. Nearly a full day.  I came as quick I could though."

Her timid smirk made my heart skip a few beats.  "It's honestly a little weird after what they told me about us but I really want you stay."

My throat became heavy and I could feel the tears ready to show.  "Umm." I quickly looked away.  "Sure.  Can I use your bathroom?"

"Sure," she said extending her arm out to the right.

I took a quick turn for privacy.  There was no strength in me to hold back the tears.  I heard them all laughing on the other side of the door.  I worried a joke was made of me.

"Michael?" someone said with a knock on the door.

"Yes?"

"It's Frank."  Of course it's Frank.

I'd forgotten how well this man knew me.  I walked to open the door.  I took a step back and let him come in at his own pace.  I went back to hovering over the sink as if I was going to puke.

He didn't waste time locking himself inside with me though.  "Michael?" he whispered placing his hand on my back.  "You okay?"

I felt trust between us again.  So I shook my head shamelessly.  I watched as the tears fell into the sink, creating a small growing puddle.  "I don't understand this."

"I know.  I don't understand it either."

"I'm hurt.  Was it really that bad?"

They all erupted in laughter again. 

"Are they laughing at me?"

"No," he said snickering.  "What's happening is between just you and Shakira."