Chapter 10 - Something

Shakira

Los Angeles

February 19, 1992

Before being able to put faces to the voices I was hearing faintly, it was just a long dream.  It's always said your life flashes before your eyes before your death and that's what I felt was happening.  I was seeing images of my past.  One that stood out was me eating in a diner with Frank.

"You're getting a false impression of how life really is with Michael Jackson.  This is not really how it's gonna be.  And when the tours over and you're embarking on your new career, he's not gonna stick around.  He's not going to be able to work it out."

I'm ashamed to admit that I should've listened to Frank.  All that time, he truly did know Michael better than I did.

"Shakira?"

I kept hearing someone call my name but I couldn't pry my eyes open to identify them.  So I gave up on trying and I think I blacked out again.

One by one, my senses seemed to slowly come back to me.

First, sound. Beep. Beep. Beep...

Second, smell. As I inhaled deeply, my chest rose and it was that hosipital smell my dad always used to come home with when I was a kid. Rubber and alcohol.

Third, taste. My lips slightly parted and I noticed a dry, cardboard taste in my mouth as air slipped through.

When my fourth sensation hit me, it immediately caused the fifth.

I felt a sudden tightening in my throat which caused my eyes to pop open. "Owww," I moaned.

I then felt someone on my hair, patting my head as if I was a dog.

"Stop. Stop. I don't know you. Stop."

"Shaki, it's me. Stop."

I felt so groggy. I shut my eyes once again. I didn't even feel like shifting my eyeballs to my side to see who the hell was touching me.

"Shakira?" a woman sang. "It's me, Jenn."

"Jennifer?" I allowed myself to smile because I knew Jennifer. I remembered her. So I opened my eyes and looked to my left to see her standing there, matching my smile.

"How do you feel?"

"Where's José?" I asked her. The question hit me out of nowhere but I felt the need to ask.

"Shakira?"

I turned my head to see another woman at my side.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I don't know you," I said looking at her with a frown.

"I'm Dr. Robinson. Do you remember anything?"

"I remember José. Where is he?" I asked with more need.

"I promise to tell you everything you need to know but first I need you to answer a few questions for me."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Whaa..." I noticed my words were slurring. I felt oddly high. "What's going on?" My mind was beginning to daze. "I'm so confused." I threw my hand on my forehead. It felt cold.

"You were in a car accident and you had to undergo surgery. You fractured your ribs badly, my dear. Also, your skull. But there are no signs of neurological damage. Therefore..."