Chapter 1 - Illegal

I opened my eyes and stared at my peach curtains.  The sun was peeking through but not enough as my room was oddly cold.  Goosebumps raised on my shoulders as my sheets failed to protect them. 

"Shaki?"  Someone called from my door.

My reaction was a soft moan I know they couldn't pick up.  I just shut my eyes and waited for them to knock again.

But I felt an energy surrounding me.  I opened my eyes to see Frank standing in front of me, so suddenly. I jumped at the sight of him.  "Jesus Christ," I said to myself.

"Sorry."  His expression didn't express sorrow.  More so humor.   "Lissy Bell is on the phone for you."  He held the house phone firmly in his hands.

Our eyes locked as I slowly took possession of it.  "Thanks."  The corners of my mouth had trouble fully lifting.  So much anticipation and fear ran through me.  The soft, cotton sheets slid off my upper body as I slowly sat up on the bed.  I looked at the phone in my hand and saw the steady green light above the gray buttons.  It was on and she was there waiting on the other line.

"You want me stay?"

I looked at him and slapped my index on my closed lips, sliding the phone under my sheets.

"Sorry," he whispered with a humorous grin.

My finger then pointed towards the door.

Frank followed orders and made a quick exit out of my bedroom.

I huffed and carefully brought the phone back in my view.  This was it.  This was only the beginning of the madness I was creating. 

I didn't want to keep her waiting for me any longer but everything I planned to say to her erased from my memory.  I now had no words.  What kind of explanation could I give her for what was to come?  Did I even need to?  Everyone thought I didn't.  They said that her opinion didn't matter and that me warning her was unnecessary.  But something deep down in my heart told me to let her know what was coming her way.

I slowly put the phone to my ear.  My trembling voice broke the silence on her end.  "Hi, Lissy?"

"Hey!  How are you, Itty-Bitty?"

Her cheerful tone sent a nervy smile to my face.  "I'm good.  How are you, stranger?"

"I'm doing very well.  I haven't heard from you in so long.  I was a little shocked when I was asked to call you," she said with a titter.  "What's going on?"

"It's about Michael."  My eyes squeezed shut as I spoke his name.  A name so common yet so tender for me to speak.  It still pained me to say it only because whenever I did, I could see his face.  My mind always traveled back to that moment when he last looked at me on stage during that last show.  It was guilt written on his face, not sadness as I once thought.  I still didn't know what happened to us.  I may never know.  But I was obsessed with finding the truth hence the madness I was brewing.

I had a career now.  A real career.  I just hoped this didn't ruin it.  I had my own album, two actually going on three, had my own world tour, soon would be on my second. 

And I had a documentary coming out.  Tonight.  It was set to hit theatre's soon but the Hollywood world premiere was tonight.  The documentary is what held my madness.

"I figured it had to be something about him," Lissy said. "Then I even thought maybe you were still up to doing that song together."

"What made you think it could be Michael?" I questioned, a little surprised.