Chapter 14

I sat across from dad as I played with my pasta

I sat across from dad as I played with my pasta. We were having a father/daughter lunch date and I was not in the mood honestly. Last night events with Michael were fresh on my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about what I let him do to me. On one hand, it felt good but on the other hand I knew I shouldn't have allowed that to happen.

When I came home last night, my parents were still up. They were in the living room watching a movie and the first thing they asked me was did I behave myself. For the first time, I wanted to be truthful and say I didn't, but I know that would only cause concern for the both of them which would lead them to believe Michael hurt me or something. Then I would have to beg Shawn to not do anything to him and just a whole bunch of other things.

So, I just lied and said I did then went up to my room and cried. The only person I wanted to vent to wasn't talking to me so my pillow was the only thing I had to console me.

"Princess are you okay?" I looked up at my dad and saw a worry look on his face.

"Yea, I'm fine."

"You don't look like it. We've been sitting here for some time now and you haven't said much to me and you barely ate your food. Are you still mad about me not coming to get you last night?"

I sighed and shook my head no, that was the last thing on my mind. Truthfully, I had forgotten all about him standing me up for whatever reason. I wasn't even excited this morning when he texted me and told me that he was taking me shopping and out to lunch. I am used to my father basically getting my hopes up so I'm learning not to always trust when he tells me he's coming to spend time with me.

"Sorry dad, it's just a lot on my mind right now."

"You wanna talk about it?" I cocked my head to the side and frowned. As much as I love my dad, I don't think I could ever vent to him or even ask him for advice. He's not there to understand my life. Shawn has been there so whenever I'm ready to ask for male advice, I would go to my stepdad before I go to my father.

"Dad, why doesn't mom and Aunt Kelly get along anymore?" If I wanna be honest this is something I wanted to know for some time now. I just never managed to ask either one of my parents what happened. "I always remember them always hanging out and Kelly watching me at times. Then wasn't there one point she was my god mother?"

My dad looked around the restaurant and cleared his throat. I don't want to believe my father was the reason for coming in between two friends, but it's hard to deny when I try to put the pieces together.

"Lexi, baby girl. What happened between your mother and Aunt is complicated. I don't know if I should be the one to tell you."

"But when we were at granddad's funeral, mom yelled out how she didn't want you and Kelly said she did. And grandma was on the side smiling as if it was okay for two women to bicker over a man especially at a funeral."