CDR BK10

Book 10, Baruch – Chapter 1, Delia and Linley

"Whoooosh." The desolate cold wind blew across the world, bringing countless snowflakes to cover it.

Delia, wearing a white fur robe, was standing quietly in front of a window, staring at the outside world. Behind her were two magical beasts. One was the Worldbear, Hatton. The other was the Wildthunder Stormhawk, Parry. Neither of the two beasts made a sound.

A sigh escaped from Delia's lips.

"Father, mother..." A bitter smile was on Delia's face. She really hadn't expected her parents to deceive her. They had told her that her grandmother was seriously ill, but after she raced home on the back of the Wildthunder Stormhawk, she had discovered that her grandmother was quite healthy.

That very first night back...

Delia had angrily asked her parents, "Father, mother, why did you two lie to me to get me home?"

Delia had originally intended to stay with Linley.

Delia's father, Dylla [Dai'ya] Leon, had looked at Delia and had asked her, "Delia, have you fallen for that Dragonblood Warrior, Linley? Ever since you first returned those many years ago, you refused to accept any other boys. Was it because of him?"

Delia had been very surprised. She hadn't told her parents.

"How did you know?" Delia had immediately asked.

Her mother had sighed. "Delia, why didn't you tell us how you felt? It was your master, Master Longhaus, who informed us upon returning to the Empire. He told us to prepare for the wedding between you and Linley."

The previously furious Delia had suddenly become bashful.

Her parents had glanced at each other, shaking their heads and smiling bitterly. Her father, Dylla, had said seriously, "My beloved daughter, I must solemnly tell you that it is impossible for you and Linley to be together."

"What?" Delia had stared at her father.
Her father had said seriously, "Delia, Linley's younger brother is the husband of the Seventh Imperial Princess of the O'Brien Empire. Without question, Linley is a Saint belonging to the O'Brien Empire. But you should understand the state of the relationship between our Yulan Empire and the O'Brien Empire."

"True, both our Yulan Empire and the O'Brien Empire are two mighty Empires who are enemies to each other, but what does that have to do with Linley?" Delia had been very upset. "Could it be that you believe, father, that me being with Linley would impact the clan?"

"Yes."

Dylla Leon had nodded. "If a clan were to have a Saint, that clan would rise up and flourish. If you and Linley were to marry...then what happens if the Yulan Empire and the O'Brien Empire were to engage in a large-scale war? Our Empire would no longer dare to have much faith in the Leon clan."

Delia immediately had become enraged.

Her father's explanation had seemed laughable.

"Delia, think about it. If you were the Emperor and you discovered that the daughter of one of your largest clans had gotten married to a Saint on the enemy's side, wouldn't you be concerned that this clan would betray him?" Dylla Leon had said seriously.

Delia had been stunned.

There was nothing she could say, because there were historical precedents for this.

In the past, a daughter of a noble clan in the Rohault Empire had married the king of one of the kingdoms of the great plains to the far east. Afterwards, her entire clan had rebelled and joined the side of that great plains kingdom.