CDR BK6

Book 6, The Road to Revenge – Chapter 1, The Dusty Affairs of the Past

Hillman was being gripped so tightly by Linley's claws that his clothes were torn open. Scarlet blood slowly leaked out, staining his clothes red.

But Hillman didn't notice in the slightest.

Staring at Linley, Hillman said in a downcast voice, "Linley, calm down first."

"Tell me." Linley was staring at Hillman.

Hillman said solemnly. "The troop of Knights following you is about to arrive. For now, let's not allow others to know about the affairs of your clan. Come with me first." Hillman shook his shoulders loose of Linley's claws, then grabbed Linley's scaled arms and with the intention of pulling him to the ancestral halls...only to find that he was unable to budge Linley.

"Linley!" Hillman turned his head, a spark of anger in his eyes.

"Uncle Hillman, I know how to act."

Linley's face was deeply sunken, but he took a deep breath, retracting the scales on his arms into his body, returning to normal. Just as he once more returned the 'Slaughterer' to his case and held it, Linley could hear the sounds of hoof steps outside drawing near.

The troops of Knights of the Radiant Temple had finally arrived.

Linley turned, glancing at them coldly, but paid them no mind. He said directly to Hillman, "Uncle Hillman, lead the way."

"Alright."

Seeing that Linley was able to calm down, Hillman felt a little bit better. He immediately led Linley into the ancestral hall's direction. Linley's face remained sunken. At this moment, aside from Linley himself, perhaps nobody knew that beneath that calm expression, there lay hidden an incredibly deep, painful wound.

Neither the Shadowmouse Bebe nor Doehring Cowart made a sound.

They were connected to Linley's soul. Naturally, they could feel the unimaginable grief and pain which Linley was currently suffering.

The wind rose, catching up and hurling into the air countless leaves which had been lying on the unimaginably ancient stone tiled grounds.

"Creaaaak."

Hillman pushed open the door to the ancestral hall, then turned to look back at Linley. Holding the warblade 'Slaughterer', Linley stepped inside, his face calm. But his gaze was fixed upon those rows of spirit tablets placed in the middle of the ancestral hall. With Linley's current vision, he could clear read the words on the newest spirit tablet, located at the front.

There were only two words on the front. "Hogg Baruch."

Linley felt his mind growing dizzy, as though he were having a hallucination. But he still stood there, unmoving. And then, still carrying the 'Slaughterer', Linley stepped forward to the stone platform in front of the spirit tablets, placing the 'Slaughterer' on top of the platform.

Linley looked at the spirit tablet, a peaceful smile appearing on his face. In a soft voice, Linley said, "Father. I'm back."

"I know that all your life, your greatest desire was that we recover our ancestral heirloom, as well as regain the bygone splendor of our clan, the Dragonblood Warrior clan." Linley spoke very carefully, as though he were afraid to startle someone. His voice was so gentle, so careful.

Linley stared at the spirit tablet. "I didn't disappoint you. I have already brought back to the Baruch clan, to the Dragonblood Warrior clan, our ancestral heirloom, the warblade 'Slaughterer'."