Contest 22

The Campfire: Part Two of The Celebration

Three months have passed since Gemma Harris's sixteenth birthday party. Since then the then Gemma Harris and Jared Rush have become quite close as friends. Currently, Gemma was riding her bike over to the Rush residence. She was quite thrilled considering this was the first bonfire she has ever been too. Jared and his parents were surprised, since bonfires had always been a regular occurrence at their home during the summer months.

Biking up the long driveway, Gemma rode up to the beautiful house that was hidden in the dense woods.

"There she is!" Gemma turned to see a blonde, energetic, 13 year old girl charging towards her.

"Hey Peg-omph!" Gemma grunted while being tackled by her best friend's little sister. The two sat up and started giggling like there was no tomorrow.

"C'mon," Peg beckoned. "Everybody is waiting inside." The younger of the two was skipping all the way up to the front porch.

"If we hurry we can get the surprise ready in time," Peg whispered into the older girl's ear.

"Let's do it."

<>{}<>{}<>

"Ugh," the male teenager groaned while flopping face first on to his soft bed.

"Oh quit you're moaning, it's not my fault you decided to go spend hours at the gym," a snarky voice echoed though his head. Letting out another moan, Jared pushed himself off his cozy bed.

"Why do you humans make such a big deal about everything?" Kent asked.

"You're one to talk."

"Let's just get this over with." Kent, the cat, walked over to the closet to help his human change into some clothes that weren't drenched in sweat.

"You're so bitter you know that?" Jared said matter-of-factly.

"Don't wear that, yellow is a terrible color," Kent mumbled.

"I just want to pick something to wear and get on with my life! Why do you make this so complicated?! First you can't look upon orange, then say that stripes make me look like a green and white zebra!" Jared complained.

"I'm bitter and complicated. It's one of my charms."

"I don't think you know what that word means. Or how to count," Jared speculated. Quickly picking a gray T-shirt(that his cat approved of) and cargo shorts, Jared made his way down the stairs to the lower level of the woodsy home.

He walked into the kitchen half expecting people either just talking and hanging out, or waiting for him to show up and scare him out of his wits.

"Hello? Anybody here?" his lonely voice filled the silent halls of the house.

"Perhaps they finally have come to their senses and left this freak show," his slightly annoying cat suggested though their telepathic link.

"I highly doubt that," he replied. "They're most likely just outside at the firepit waiting for us." With that, Jared opened the door that led t the backyard.

Splash!

"Ha! We got you good!"

Jared groaned, again. His little sister and best friend decided to prank the unsuspecting boy with a bucket of freezing cold water over the door.

"You've got to be kidding me," Jared said while trying to squish the moisture out of his shirt.

"Nope!" Gemma replied with a humongous grin.

"Definitely not," his sister added. Peg ruffled her older brother's dirty blonde hair and said, "a little water won't kill you, old man."

"I'm only three years older than you, so what's that saying about you?" he taunted.

"That I'm going to be old and whiny soon too!"

Gemma started rolling on the deck in laughter. Jared stooped low, smirking at his friend.

"Just remember, we are the same age," he whispered into her ear. In one quick movement, Jared turned back to his sister. The most maniacal look swept across his face. He swung his little sis over his shoulder and made a break for the firepit. Gemma following close behind still laughing like there was no tomorrow. While Peg was struggling to escape her brother's grip.

When they finally made their way to the fire, Kent was sitting silently judging them. None of them particularly paid him much attention because they were too busy trying to prevent Gemma from accidentally lighting any of them on fire.

All of them enjoyed their evening, cooking hotdogs, roasting marshmallows, and making s'mores. When Peg and Jared's parents came out they joined in the festivities. Their fun day ended with all of them relaxing and enjoying the fire and each others company. All was well until Peg suggested, "How about we tell ghost stories?"

That ended with Mr. and Mrs. Rush going inside, and Kent rolling his eyes because he knew that there weren't any evil ghosts and monsters in their woods. Meanwhile Gemma cowering in fear behind Jared.

All in all, it was a glorious day.

<>{}<>{}<>

Thanks for reading! I know it's cheesy, but oh well.
Ithildaeforever
GadSul