//Chapter 15\\

"All these miles just to get back home
Travelled all these miles just to get back home."

Gerard's POV:

Frank was dead by the end of the night.

There's no easy way to put it. No way to sugarcoat it. He was gone. Deceased. Dead.

Frank Anthony Thomas Iero Jr was dead.

And in a way, so was I.

I didn't cry when I told the guys after they saw me collapse in the hallway with a blank, numb expression. Or when Mikey ran in to check and I heard his agonised wails from the other room. Ray sprinted after him and almost instantly his pained roar echoed through the house. I can't blame them. Not at all. Frank was a Brother to the both of them.

And they lost him.

I didn't cry when it rolled around to Frank's funeral. A tragic affair. I didn't put my make up on, I was in despair. Clad in black and mixed in with the lot, I wished to wake up as someone I'm not. As if this wasn't real. As if the love of my life wasn't trapped in a coffin being lowered six feet under the ground.

I didn't cry when I got home and looked in the mirror, not liking what I saw. But this is me now. Firsthand. Broken. Beaten. Damned. I tried to smile. Tried to find light in the fact that Frank was free of pain now. But I couldn't. I was selfish and I wanted him back.

And I didn't cry when Fun Ghoul stayed up with me all night, his purr hollow and hitched but somehow he kept it up for me. It was as if he possessed the spirit of Frank. That he was telling me it was all gonna be okay.

No.

I cried only when a few days later, after not eating or drinking or doing anything at all because of heartbreak, Fun Ghoul, too, died in my arms. Because it was then that I realised. If you love them let them go is a lie. Because if you let them go they die. And you can't ever get them back.

Now I'm sorry if this upsets you. But it's the truth. And not all stories have a happy ending. Especially not this one. Frank lost the fight. Fun Ghoul gave up. Mikey and Ray continued to try but all I could do was wait. Either to join Frank or for him to come home.

But he was never coming home.

And I'm still waiting.