The Letter

I step back into the house after my morning run, taking my earbuds out of my ears. Sweat drips down my face and I use my finger to comb my hair back from my eyes. My phone buzzes and I look down at it to see a text from my dad.

Dad: A letter came from U.A. while you were on your run, I left it on the kitchen table. Text me if you got in!

Me: I'll go open it now.

I quickly reply and click my phone off. With a joyful bounce in my step, I hurry to the kitchen and grab the letter on the table. I almost rip it open in excitement and a small metal device comes out. I place it on the table as it projects a screen that displays All Might.

The number one hero congratulates me on getting into the hero course, specifically class 1-A. "And (l/n), you are the first Quirkless student to be accepted into the hero course! Congratulations, and I can't wait to meet you as one of your teachers!"

"Step one of becoming the top hero, get accepted into the U.A. Hero Course. Done!" I grin as I grab my phone and shoot my dad a quick text saying I got into the top class.

I also text my friend Kendo about it.

Me: I got into the hero course! Class 1-A, what about you?

Kendo: I got into class 1-B, and that's amazing! Let's walk to school together on the first day!

Me: Totally! Got to go shower, bye

Kendo: Later!

I plug my phone into it's charger and hop into the shower to wash the sweat and dirt from my body. I change into athletic shorts and a t shirt to start my studying session.

"Okay, I'll start with English since I probably struggle with it the most, then I should go back to my technology and engineering textbook and review a little more of chapter 5..." I mutter to myself as I pull out my English notebook and start on one of the textbook assignments.

After a few hours of studying, I hit up my sparring partner. He and I battle occasionally on the weekends, though he's a lot stronger than me he agreed to train me because of my high ambitions and because he sees potential in me.

Me: Hey, have time to spar today?

I change into a different outfit for fighting while I wait for his reply.

I slip into a loose black and white Nike tank top and black sweatpants. I pull black fingerless gloves over my hands and tie my hair up. My phone buzzes and I pick it up and read the text.

Mirio: Yeah, let's meet at the usual place.

"Alright, I'm going to kick his ass today for sure!" I grin and lace up my sneakers as I open the door.

Our usual meeting place is a half destroyed cement building at the edge of town just past a mile long dense forest. The forest is a couple blocks behind my house, and i start a light jog in the right direction.

I reach the forest and scan for my usual path through. I find the right tree and tuck my phone into my pocket as I climb up the tree.

The forest is too dense to just walk through with all the swampy areas and large tree trunks. For practice fighting in more natural areas, I move from tree to tree. It's not as hard as it seems since the trees are so close together. I swiftly move from tree to tree as I make my way across the dense forest. It's not hard for Mirio to get through the forest though, since his Quirk allows for his body to become intangible, and he can phase right through the trees.

"I'm here!" I yell as I spot my mentor and drop down from the tree I'm on, landing in a squat. I stand fully and readjust my gloves as I enter the building.

"Don't forget everything I've taught you. You tend to forget yourself in the heat of battle, which can lead to blind spots." Mirio is two years older than I am, and is entering his third year at U.A. as one of the top three students, as well as the most likely candidate for number one hero after graduation.

That just means I need to be stronger than him if I'm going to beat All Might and take the spot at number one hero.

"Ready?" he asks as we take our positions.

"Of course," I reply with a grin and raise my fists.

"Let's begin."

I charge at him, faking a punch to his stomach since my arm will phase right through him anyway. I aim a kick at his feet since they're the only thing tangible about him.

"You use that move to much," he instructs me and jumps over my feet with ease.

"Damn it," I mutter and step away from him. That move and counters are the only thing I can use to work against Mirio as someone who's Quirkless.

He drops into the ground as he goes into completely intangible mode. I tune up my senses as I wait for him to appear somewhere around me. I feel the ground slightly shaking underneath me. He's aiming for right behind me, this will make a counter harder. I spin around in anticipation and hold my hands spread out.

I should try something new today. Usually I punch his fist, but that's never done any damage, and usually does more damage to me since he's stronger. I have to make this a quick move since he can just phase out of my grip.

He shoots out of the ground and aims his usual right handed jab at me. No, he wouldn't do something so obvious right away. I think it might be a hook instead to throw me off. I turn slightly as his fist changes direction and catch his right hook. I did it! Now using his momentum I yank on his arm and flip him over my head as quickly as I can.

He lands hard on his back, since phasing through the floor like that would be dangerous. His hand phases out of my grip immediately and he stands up, already recovered.

"That's the first time you landing a solid hit on me," he says, clearly proud of my growth.

"Okay," I start, out of breath already. "Can we do some Quirkless fighting? I need to boost my endurance." We don't always fight with Mirio using his Quirk since I don't get enough practice actually getting hits in.

"Of course." He deactivates his Quirk and we continue fighting.

Author's Note: For anyone who hasn't read the manga, Mirio is not made up, he is an actual character who will probably appear in the anime in the second season (I hope at least). Anyways, thanks for reading and the next chapter will be out tomorrow!