Confrontation

“Poppy, may I suggest we meditate on this for a moment?" Creek asked.

“Okay," she replied. Creek helped her sit and fold her legs together (which can be difficult, but not impossible, when you have a baby inside you) and he sat in the same position.

“Now, empty your mind and let the universe send us answers," he instructed. Poppy did just that.

Poppy wasn't sure what the universe was trying to tell her, it was all a blur.

Come on, she thought. Help me, universe! My baby needs you. I want her to have a long, happy life, but her father... Her... Her father... What does he want?

Poppy then knew what she had to do.

“I need to talk to Branch," she spoke up. Creek finished meditating and opened his eyes. “I don't know how it's going to turn out, but my baby needs a father. If Branch wants to be involved, I should give him a chance."

Creek smiled.

“Wise choice," he said. “Would you like me to go with you?"

“Thank you, but this something I have to do alone," Poppy replied. With that, the two Trolls returned to the baby shower.

••••••••••••••••••••••

The following morning, Poppy made her way through the woods and looked for Branch's bunker.

“Branch?" she called out. “It's me, Poppy. I just want to talk to you about..." she hesitated, “... something important. Well, I'm sure you've heard that I'm having a baby. And... I know what you're thinking. ‘Poppy, your baby's going to get eaten because of your crazy parties!' ‘Poppy, that baby wouldn't last one minute under your protection!' ‘Poppy, you're not even married! What the heck were you thinking?!'"

Poppy wasn't aware, but Branch was right behind her.

“Well, it hurts my feelings, yes," Poppy continued, “but there's more to it than that. The baby is... is... going to be fine. The Bergens are never going to find us, and I'm going to try to be a good mother. She may not have a father, but... Then again, you... I mean, he... I mean..."

Poppy felt embarrassed by her own words. She fell to her knees and sobbed. If she can't even talk about this to herself, how could she face Branch?

“You were doing great until you started crying," Branch said suddenly. Poppy turned her head and looked up to find Branch standing right next to her.

“Branch!" she exclaimed, nearly jumping upwards. But she ended up falling on her back. “Ow..."

Branch helped Poppy up and led her to a small stone so she could sit down.

“Good morning," she said nervously. “Umm... How are you?"

“Can't complain," Branch replied. He looked carefully at Poppy's stomach, which wasn't too swollen, but big enough for him to tell how far along she was.

“So, she is mine," he said softly. Poppy nodded. “Why didn't you tell me?"

“I didn't know what to do," she answered. “I thought if everyone found out I was having your baby, they'd think I'm crazy. And I was worried you'd take her away from me because you'd think I'd be a terrible mother."

“Poppy, I don't think you'd be a terrible mother," Branch assured her. “You get crazy and you're extremely careless, but you have a loving heart and our daughter is more than lucky to have you as her mother. And I wouldn't take her away from you. I would simply want to help."

Poppy felt the urge to cry. “That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me!"

“Thanks," Branch said.

“You really want to help with the baby?" she asked.

“Actually... I don't think I can be a father," Branch replied. “I have no experience with children, and my father was never there."

Poppy smiled sadly and placed a hand on Branch's shoulder.

Father cannot guide you

Now you're on your own

Only me beside you

Still, you're not alone

No one is alone

Truly

No one is alone

The young princess took the grey Troll's hand and placed it on her baby bump. Then, it happened. It startled them for a moment, but their nerve turned into joy as they felt their child move. Poppy looked up at Branch and smiled.

Sometimes people leave you

Halfway through the wood

Do not let it grieve you

No one leaves for good

You are not alone

No one is alone

Suddenly, Poppy's Hug Time bracelet went off and she looked at Branch hopefully. Branch simply shrugged and let Poppy wrap her arms around him.

“Thank you," she whispered.

No, Branch thought. Thank you.

That's all I got for now. 😕