Chapter 7: Detective DeWitt

Reporters from all over the nation were gathered in front of city hall. The story had gone national, all because he was the first known active serial killer in Los Angeles in ten years. Honking and angry shouts were peripheral noise, as streets continued to be blocked off in order to accommodate the growing crowd. The sun was beating down on us all, creating beads of sweat on my forehead. They slid down my face before I could wipe them away with a handkerchief. I was also very nervous and that surely contributed to all the sweat. The city would demand answers, and we didn't have any. My captain, Captain Barrera, and lieutenant, Lieutenant Carter, were seated behind me wearing their ceremonial uniforms. Wedged between them and the blown-up photo of Evelyn Starks wearing her blue lace dress, was Mrs. Starks.

A wadded-up tissue in her hand had become a common accessory since I'd met her. Marner had taken it upon himself to continue comforting her, and was allowing her to squeeze the life out of his hand. By this time, Evelyn's image had already gone viral, and was on every social media platform possible. Facebook support groups had formed, even joining forces with the police department this very morning to help filter through tips and information. Of course, where there was support for her, there was support for the killer, too. Online forums praising his style and crimes were gaining popularity. It shocked me how quickly this had blown up. It seemed people were just waiting for something to support, whether it was good or bad.

Captain Barrera gave me a nod and I turned towards the crowd. I thanked everyone for coming today, then started off with introducing the official name of the killer, the Mannequin Killer. We all knew it was a terrible name, he wasn't killing mannequins, but we didn't have any other calling card. Maybe the Bleach Killer? It would just make him sound like Mr. Clean went off the deep end or something.

I spent as little time on him as possible, his online forums didn't need any more fuel. Then, with the full permission of Mrs. Starks, I revealed the details regarding Evelyn's personality. The reporters were hanging onto my every word, taking diligent notes. I took my time reading out everything I'd written. It was my intention to get through this without offending Mrs. Starks, or the memory of her daughter.

I encouraged the public to check on any family member or friend that matched the personality description I had just given out. It was vital that we identified the other two victims, so we could continue building a profile. Any information at all was important to us, and we wanted to hear it. As I spoke, I scanned the crowd. It was never rare for a killer to attend press meetings that dealt with them. They enjoyed being a shadow in the crowd, among the innocent, clear of guilt. Officers were lined everywhere, keeping an eye out for any strange characters, too. I finished off by dropping a few sentences about what a kind and gentle girl Evelyn was. I wanted to drive it home that he had killed an innocent and unsuspecting girl. With each word, Mrs. Starks gave in to quiet whimpering.

I thanked everyone again for coming, and reiterated my plea for any information to be called in. Marner and I helped Mrs. Starks off the stage and into a patrol unit. Reporters were flooding her sides asking for a statement. I tried my best to shield her, and deflect any negative comments coming her way. It was sick really, how reporters tried to prod information. I knew she had heard the questions regarding her daughter's moral character. We were not here to judge, just to solve. I closed the car door and pounded on the roof so the officer could take her away. Marner and I jumped into my vehicle to head over to Coffee Grounds.

The place was bustling with orders being taken and fulfilled, while the line only seemed to be getting longer. It was a Starbucks knock off, but the pungent coffee smell made everything okay. We took a seat at a nearby table, deciding to observe and wait for the lunch rush to end. Across from us was a newspaper rack. I imagined that's where Evelyn sat. Although, the rack appeared new, which meant that they had replaced her already. It was right by the window that let in tons of natural sunlight. Many people frequented that area, but only a rare few reached down to grab a newspaper. Mostly everyone in here was on a device, completely absorbed into their own little worlds.