Chapter 9: Mommy Dearest

"Are you sure this is safe?" I said, fear covered my voice, as Shane pulled me up the faulty staircase.

He looked down at me and smiled while pulling me higher. "Yes. It's safe, it will all be worth it soon."

I sighed and gripped onto his body as we made our way up the stairs until we finally reached a door that said roof. Shane had taken me to a random, empty warehouse and everything about it was disgusting. There were cobwebs everywhere and it smelled horrible. God knows what happened in this building.

Shane put his hand on the handle and grinned at me. "Ready?"

I nodded and pushed him forward. "Yes! Now hurry these stairs could snap any minute."

He rolled his eyes and opened the door that led to the roof. Once we stepped out I smiled because the horrid smell was replaced with the night air. I glanced up at the sky and noticed the stars were finally coming out and they looked amazing.

"The stars look so beautiful."

Shane nodded. "I know. Now c'mon."

He pulled me to the other side of the roof and I gasped once I took in everything. There was a red blanket placed on the floor, with small candles placed on top of it. A picnic basket was sitting up on a mini table along with a bottle of wine and two wine glasses. Red rose petals were scattered all around the blanket and formed into a heart shape.

I looked at Shane and smiled until my face hurt. "You did all this?"

He smiled. "Yeah."

He pulled me over to the blanket and we both took a seat on top of it. "I tried to make us a fancy picnic so this is the best I could do."

I ran my fingers across the soft rose petals and grinned. "This is perfect."

I leaned over and pressed my lips against his and he smiled. "Wine?"

I nodded and watched as he stood and popped open the bottle before pouring us both a glass. He handed me my glass and then sat back next to me.

"I have something for you."

I smiled. I couldn't stop smiling lately when I was around him. "What is it?"

He opened his blazer and pulled out a black box from the pocket. He handed it to me and I eagerly opened it. My eyes widened and I pressed my hand against my mouth once my eyes landed on the expensive diamond necklace in front of me. As the moon's light reflected on the necklace it sparkled so bright I had to squint my eyes. It was truly beautiful.

"We've been dating for almost six months so I wanted to get you something." Shane said as he took the necklace out of the box and slipped it around my neck.

As the cool diamonds pressed against my skin I sighed and touched my new prized possession. "Shane this is too expensive. I can't except it."

He scoffed and kissed my forehead. "You deserve all the money in the world."

I didn't reply and I felt tears forming in my eyes. He was too good to me. Shane noticed my behavior and lifted my chin up with his finger. "Hey what's wrong?"

I shrugged and smiled as tears spilled down my cheeks. "Nothing is wrong. Everything is perfect. You're perfect."

He smiled and I wrapped my arms around him. "Thank you. I love it."

Shane reached in his pocket and pulled out a silver key. "This is the key to my house. I want you to have one."

I hesitantly took it and looked up at him. "Are you sure?"