▼Chapter Three - Awakening.

Start from the beginning

We arrived in Ward Two, where patients who were in major accidents lay. My dad sat in a blue plastic chair, with his head in his hands, wearing sweatpants under his black chic work coat. He still wore his slippers, which showed he was in a hurry. My dad looked the same as he did when my mum died, his whole body looked like he died himself, nothing more than a empty shell. His head shot up as we approached, his eyes red and blotchy with sky blue irises. As he stood up, slowly wiping his face with his hand, he said, "Oh...Avania I'm so glad you're here! You haven't died have you?" he smiled mischievously.

"No, I'm still here, dad. You can't get rid of me that easily," I said with a soft laugh, nudging him slightly. Tears leaked from his eyes, and he held me in a tight embrace.

"I don't want you to leave me, I'm so happy you were born...My little girl." he whispered in my hair, he patted me on the back and held me at arms' length away to inspect me. "You're not hurt, are you?"

I shook my head reassuringly, "No, I'm not, can we go home now?" I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and Chase took me aside.

"Av, the Doc needs to do some checks on you and they need your dad to sign a release form. Originally, that would of been your bed there,"--he pointed to a neat unoccupied bed--"but you seem to be fine..." his brows creased in the center.

A female nurse took me away towards my bed and drew the curtains, leaving the shadows of Chase and my dad behind it.

"Dr. Collins will see you shortly." the nurse smiled and hurried out to tend to the other patients.

I kicked my legs as I waited impatiently. The TV in the corner played the same advert a couple of times before the doctor slid through the curtain. He grinned at me. His crisp white coat was unbuttoned, and he had a pocket on his right breast with a red and black pen. Under it hung his name tag.

"Hello," he glanced at clip board "Avania, I'm just going to do a few checks on you and see how you're doing." he placed a hand on my head, putting his stethoscope on and placing the cool metal pad on my back. He listened. "Okay, breathe in deeply." I did as he said, "And out." I did this a couple of times before he took it off, "Well, your lungs and breathing are fine." he pulled something black out from the cupboard and reached for my arm. " You'll feel a tight squeeze nothing more." he strapped the velcro around my slender arm, I felt the grasp tighten as he squeezed a round object in his hand, reading the dial. "Your blood pressure is fine too! Lovely." he chirped.

He asked me a couple of questions about whether I felt pain anywhere or anything unusual. I didn't want to mention about the whole Renaissance thing, so I kept my mouth shut and just shook my head. He checked my reflex action on my knee, telling me again I was fine and gave me a paper cup with white liquid in it.

"Now, drink this and I need to do a scan, then if that's fine you can go home. Wait here." he slipped out and I saw my dad's shadow shoot up, murmurs coming from behind the closed curtain. I heard the doctor whisper, "This is a miracle!" Eliza scoffed when she heard this, 'I told you.' she gave a gentle laugh in my mind. Rolling my eyes, I continued to eavesdrop on the rest of the conversation. "She was brought and rushed in to A and E, she was a mess, results showed she had a punctured lung and skull, and a huge gash down her arm, causing her to lose a lot of blood. The surgeon tried his best to seal the wounds, then her heart started to fail, and he then tried to restart her heart but failed, confirming her death, but as you can see she's fine. Her heart must of restarted when he exited the room. Sorry for the misunderstanding, we'll just can her and you may go home."

Chase came in through the curtain and sat besides me. The bed moaned under the weight of two people. "You should get some sleep. It's 3:15 am." he said, glancing at his iPhone, and eyeing the dull paper cup in my hand. He raised a brow.